- Chapter 46 -

Silks, lace, and fine stockings went off, and new ones came on. Once I had overcome my initial fear of my scars being so readily on display, my confidence began to soar. Gowns, trousers, and blouses - I tried them all. Before long, I had a small wardrobe collection neatly folded and steadily growing at the front counter. There was still one last ensemble I wanted to try, as it reminded me of the clothing I had worn the night of the Halloween festival. Slim black trousers with delicate beadwork about the hips, and a black silk blouse with a cinched waist, low neckline, and elegant draping sleeves. We had the blouse about halfway buttoned before the bell on the front door jingled, and the seamstress excused herself to great the customer. With my shirt still halfway buttoned, I peeked my head out from between the curtains. Damian looked up quickly, his eagerness for my latest garments apparent.

I was pleased to see his eyes grow larger when he saw my open shirt.

"I'm not quite ready yet," I said softly.

He shook his head quickly. "I'm not complaining."

I was about to give him a glimpse that would truly make him blush, but the seamstress was returning. "Right this way, ma'am," she ushered the newcomer into the fitting room just beside mine. The two of them were separated only by a small curtain, and shared the massive mirror before us, so the views were not entirely private. I slipped quickly back behind the curtain, as the seamstress assured me that she would be back with me presently once she had fetched her daughter from upstairs to assist.

The woman who now occupied the space beside me was tall and curvaceous, her skin an elegant dark brown tone. She removed her jacket and hung it upon a coat hook, and as she did her dark eyes fluttered back to briefly make contact with my own. I smiled, unable to look away quickly enough to make it evident I wasn't staring. But her own smile reassured me.

Get away from her. Who is she? Power hangs about her...dangerous...get away....move...

The voice's sudden uproar caught me off guard. My breath hitched, and I clutched my chest for a moment before it subsided.

"Are you alright?" Her voice carried a hint of a French accent. "Corset too tight, doll?"

"N-no, I just...oh..." She had slipped around the curtain and into my side of the fitting room. She was a bit older than myself, perhaps in her early 30s if I had to guess at it. There was a confidence to the way she moved that reminded me of the ladies in The Doll House who had been working girls for years: gorgeous, desirable, and they knew it.

"Let me help," she said gently, as she moved behind me to begin loosening the laces of my corset. It was indeed a relief to be freed from the crushing constraint, no matter how pretty it looked. "Better, doll? Girls must look out for each other, yes?"

"Yes...thank you," I held out my hand, thinking it only proper to introduce myself. "I'm Samara."

"Margaux," she said brightly. "Margaux Adley. Pleasure to make your acquaintance. My, what small hands you have!" She clutched my hand in hers, her thumb smoothing over my palm. She felt reassuringly warm, but something in her touch and the way her eyes lingered over me made me feel as if she was slowly uncovering some secret. The voices were still in chaos, all of them talking over each other so loudly that I could not make out what any of what them were saying. It should have frightened me, but the woman before me was not frightening in the least.

"What lovely scarification as well." My heart seemed to stall as I realized where her eyes had fixated. Roaming over my bare chest, tracing the lines of my scars with her gaze. "Who did it for you? What does it me?"

I pulled my hand away abruptly. I opened my mouth but had no reply ready. I suddenly wished Damian was there beside me. Certainly he would have some response ready. But Margaux was still eagerly awaiting my answer. I had to say something.