Chapter 1

Robyn’s POV 

Nala was making snow angels when I came to pick her up. I watch her make silly faces as, Mel takes pictures of her. I watch from the window for a moment, smiling when one of those photos hits my phone a minute later.

“I’m in the kitchen,”  I texted back.

Mel squints down at her phone and then over at the window, grinning as she pulls Nahla up out of the snow.

I run most of my errands in the morning, both personal ones as well as for the business, so Auntie Mel babysits. Nahla loves it here, Mel spoils her.

“Hi, Mommy,” Nala says breathlessly, flushed from play and cold.

“Hi, baby.” I wrestle a kiss onto her cheek before she scuttles away, peeling her gloves and jacket off as she goes. “Put those in their safe place, please.”

“Kay” she replied as she ignores everything I said and throw her things on the floor.

“Nala”

She comes back, scrunching her nose, and picks up her stuff.

“How was she?” I ask Mel, giving her a quick hug.

“Great, as always.”

“Yeah? She was cranky this morning.”

“She’s always good for me,”  Mel shrugs, filling the kettle with water and setting it on the stove.

“Yeah, because you spoil her,” I laugh, sliding into the stool at the counter.

Mel smiles. “She’s the baby.”

On my way home, after a pretzel and several rounds of Mary Had A Little Lamb, Nala falls asleep in her carseat. Her already messy ponytail loosens more, crowding her little face with long, brown curls. Many people say she looks a lot like i did at that age.Yeah, my girl might look like me, but she also favors her father.

At home I carry Nala to bed, prying her boots from her feet and letting them fall to the ground. I take her outerwear off and replace it with blankets, figuring she’d  probably nap for a good hour at least.

“Mommy,” she breathes, still asleep. I tuck a teddy bear underneath her arm and back quietly out of the room.

Making several trips, I haul a week’s worth of groceries from my car to the kitchen. It’s a good day for some pasta, I think. I started making it by tossing ingredients into the pot as I sip a glass of wine.

I’m washing my hands when Jen calls.

“Hey Jen”

“Robyn. Listen. The Bride called…”

“Don’t tell me,” I say, shouldering the phone as a I cut some of the ingredients. Jen is a wedding planner, who often asks me to design dresses for her clients.  . She is also a close friend, which means she’s always calling for favors.

“Yeah” she sighs heavily over the phone. “Apparently there’s has been some issues”

“Okay….”

“And we’ re moving the wedding up a couple weeks’

“what, wonderful,” I replied sarcastically.

“I could call somebody else…”

“No. I’ve got this.”

“are you sure?”

“Yeah.” I pour myself a little more wine.

“Excellent.” her relief is palpable. “Nothing else changes. The dress stays exactly the same, let me know if you need anything”

“Will do”

“All right, talk to you later.”

“Kay. Bye.”

We hang up. I give the pasta a stir before covering it, and then grab my notebook, wine, and sit down. Making notes as I go, I skim the list of things the bride wants done for her dress. I have a lot of sewing to do ahead of me, and the next few days are going to be frantic, but it’s okay.

I work well under pressure; Mel and I both do , which is why our business continues to make a great name for itself.

Mel and I started our own store, right after college. Mel had a trust funds, conveniently, but still started small and have worked extremely hard to get to where we our now. Our store, named River Island is doing extremely well.

“Mommy?” Nala’s sleep-husky voice drifts down the hall. I glance at the clock, surprised to see its been nearly two hours since we got home. Placing my glass in the sink, I make my way to her room.

 Drake’s POV

God, the last thing I ever want to do after sweating my ass off stage for two hours is to sit for another hour and pretend to be happy as some girls tell me they wanna have my baby.

I just finished my last concert, after a 6 months tour. I’ve been looking forward to going home-to my actual home. After tonight I have some time to do this. But, thank to the radio promo, our management agreed to do a meet and greet, with a hundred crazy fans.

Okay, maybe they’re not all crazy, but there certainly some. For instance, there was one fan with huge hair and hot pink lipstick . Her name was Jennifer or Julia or something. She  licked her lips and sucked her teeth like she was trying to be seductive, when really she just came across as if she couldn’t keep her saliva in her mouth.

Then there was the guy who propositioned me about five minutes ago. Sorry buddy I don’t swing that way. And just after him was a chick who had the most lopsided plastic tits i had ever seen. She shoved them in my face and actually asked if i wanted to check them out.No.

After the meets and greets were over, I walked to my room, to start packing.

“Drake, I have some bad news. Ryan said they are moving the wedding to this weekend.” Chubbs told me, as he entered the room.

“Really, we have to book the next flight to New York.” Their would be no way that I would miss one of my cousins weddings.  I guess my trip home will have to be postponed.