Chapter 5 | Parties are always a mess

[ c h a p t e r  f i v e ]5 — parties are always a mess

5 — parties are always a mess

[ z a r a ]
— point of view

A night to remember, a night filled with hidden identities and a party where true colours are revealed. Lisa's masquerade party, a party where she wanted to shine - a party I got invited just to be dim, not bright. So my friend could shine, so all eyes could be on her.

I hold the rather fancy wine glass between my index finger and ring finger, scanning the contents in boredom. Was I just here to watch people have fun as I sit alone, pretending to not exist. There were many people with masks on, many people trying their luck to be with someone just for one night.

After all, without a mask, a human can be very dangerous.

I remove my glance from the people having fun if they were having fun: couldn't I be like them for just one night? Release all my pain and struggles in one night, become a carefree person I can't recognise?

I straighten the silver dress I was wearing, it was plain. No gemstones, no shimmer — glitter or anything. Just plain with small appliqué. That's what Lisa wanted, she didn't want me to wear something better than her, or a colour that would take all the attention away from her.

As I walked forward, I found myself face to face with a very familiar guy. His jaw was now fixed, the marks from Carter's punch were there but very faint. Bryce Walker stands in front of me seemingly looking very blank-faced.

"Zara," Bryce murmurs, his dark blue mask covering his identity. I could only tell it was him due to the bruises on his skin that Carter managed to leave behind. "You seem very plain, did Lisa tell you to dress like this again?" he asks, Bryce was aware of how Lisa wanted to look better than me.

I shake my head to say no, it would be stupid to let Lisa's name get slandered for something as stupid as this. "No, I just felt like wearing this dress," I mutter incoherently, how could Lisa invite Bryce? I thought she realised how cruel someone like Bryce is.

Bryce moves a little closer to me, gripping my waist tightly. I gulp, instinctively moving back but he prevents me from doing so. "You look really nice Zara, Lisa can never top your beauty even if she tries." Bryce moves his hand slowly down my dress.

I felt disgusted, with all my might I try to push him back. "B-Bryce what are you doing?" I say, my voice shaking. I didn't feel right, I felt disgusted. He ignores me, continuing to make his way down my dress.

"Trying to make you feel better, don't you want this Zara?" Bryce inquires, his eyes trailing down my body like a predator. I shake my head to say no, never would I agree to something like this with Bryce.