Chapter 9 | Silent lunch

[ c h a p t e r  n i n e ]9 — silent lunch

[ c h a p t e r n i n e ]
9 — silent lunch

[ z a r a ]
— point of view

I glance at Carter, he sat beside me. His eyes were locked on to the board in front of us, he purposely was ignoring me. He didn't bother talking to me when the teacher asked for everyone to discuss with their pairs.

"Did I say something that offended you?" I question, my mind flows back to the past hour, I didn't say anything to him that was remotely rude.

Carter doesn't respond, he continues to write notes on his notebook. I sigh, giving up on trying to talk to him. "I'm sorry, if I did do something." I murmur in a quite tone. I had no idea why I was bothering to apologise, I didn't do anything.

His shoulders tense as he stops writing. The bell rings, Carter instantly walks off without a word. I frown as I watch his retreating figure.

I walk out of the classroom, making my way towards the lunch hall. But I was alone, I doubt Lisa was going to talk to me after I stood up to her. It's okay though, I don't need her to survive this school year.

The only person that will ever stay real to me is myself.

Just as I was about to walk through the double doors to the lunch hall, an arm pulls me back. I turn around only to be face to face with Riven Erendor, he has a blank face as usual. His raven hair was pulled to the side as his eyes glistened under the iridescent light above.

My heart slightly flutters. He could be the mystery guy, the one that saved me from Bryce at Lisa's masquerade party. He could be the same guy who danced with me until Carter intervened.

He opens his mouth to speak but he closes it instantly. I frown, he didn't want to speak to me? So I decide to speak to him instead, it was odd how he stopped me from going into the lunch hall.

"Hey, you left before I thanked you yesterday." I say, smiling at him. Riven nods his head, he leads me towards a set of stair case I never knew existed in this school.

"What is this place?" I mumble, walking up the stairs. Riven had released his hold on my wrist, as i follow him I notice a whole new floor of the school.

Riven doesn't respond to my question as he slides the glass door, walking into the balcony. My eyes widen as I notice many plants, the view was extraordinary. Roses and tulips practically surrounded the whole room.

"This place is beautiful." I murmur, taking a seat opposite him. Riven pulls out a container, there were noodles inside. He pulls out a fork and hands it to me. My eyes widen as I take the fork from him, he's actually giving me food?

He pulls out a fork for himself. Did he plan this whole thing, just the both of us eating together? "Thanks Riven." I say, placing the fork into the noodles, after taking a generous amount I place it inside my mouth.

The noodles tasted amazing, the correct amount of spices and everything. It tasted just right, did Riven cook this or did his mother— but I heard that his parents died a long time ago.

I look at him, only to find him not eating the noodles at all. His eyes were trained on his bag, I forgot that the pills were inside there, the pills that I caught him taking. Were they drugs to forget pain or were they medicine for his health?

I push the container towards him, although I was hungry. I didn't want to eat his lunch, this was his. Riven looks at me blankly, but there was a certain glimmer in his eyes. I watch as he places his fork inside the container, grabbing some noodles before taking a small bite.

I throw him a smile. "The more you eat, the healthier your body will be." I say, watching him drop his fork. He doesn't make any movement to pick it up as he pushes the container towards me.

He gestured his hand towards the container, telling me to eat. "What about you, what will you eat?" I ask, feeling concerned for him. Riven shrugs his shoulders, pulling out his phone.

I sigh, if he doesn't want to eat it then I might as well. Good food should never be wasted. I place the fork into the container, eating the noodles quickly. So quickly that I forget Riven is in front of me, I look up to meet his eyes.

Damn it, I was an ugly eater. He just saw me at my worst, the way I eat is inhumane. I notice him pulling out something from his bag, my eyes notice a napkin in his hand.

He leans closer towards me, wiping the corner of my lip before placing the napkin down. "T-Thanks." I stammer, Riven nods his head. I couldn't understand why he wouldn't speak to me.

My phone vibrates, I look down at my pocket confused. There's nobody other than Lisa who would text me, I pull out my phone only to see it's a message from an unknown number.

UNKNOWN
i just want you
to be happy.

I look up to find Riven on his phone, but he quickly places it into his pocket as the school bell rings. He grabs his bag and walks towards the glass door as he slides it open as if he was waiting for me.

I grab my things before walking towards the door, Riven follows after me. Closing the door swiftly as the both of us make it down the stairs.

We make it back to the hallways, but before Riven left I grab his arm. He stops walking, turning around to face me with a gaze that was hard to look away from.

"Thanks for the lunch, it meant a lot to have company." I say. Riven's Adam's Apple bobs as he nods his head, he makes it so hard for me to speak. It was hard to talk to a person if they didn't speak back at all.

"I guess I'll see you around." I murmur only to find Riven already making his way down to the opposite direction. I glance at his figure that was fading away the further he walked.

Could Riven be the mysterious guy? The way he had his phone in his hand just as I received the message from the unknown person, it seemed like he was the sender of the message.

He was indeed a mystery, a mystery that I was willing to solve.

[ e n d o f c h a p t e r n i n e ]
#10 — authors note

let the shipping begin, what is your ultimate ship at this moment? carter x zara or riven x zara or xanthe x zara?

thank you for 14,000 reads, i will be updating this book often since there's many people interested! vote comment and share, it will mean so much to me :)