Chapter 6 | A mystery worth solving

[ c h a p t e r  s i x ]6 — a mystery worth solving

[ c h a p t e r s i x ]
6 — a mystery worth solving

[ z a r a ]
— point of view

As humans do we have the ability to disappear for just one millennium? It would be an honour to leave this wretched society and toxic community. For once could we as people have a chance to be with each other in peace without throwing harmful words at one and other?

I sit alone on the bus stop once again, waiting for the bus to arrive. Memories of yesterday night cause me to sulk, was I too harsh on Carter? I can't have been, he called me a foul word and didn't even bother apologising due to storming off straight after.

"Here, again?" I hear a familiar voice. I look up to find Xanthe with his bag slung around his shoulder casually, he throws me a ghost of a smile before taking a seat beside me. His raven hair fell softly on to his forehead, making him look rather cute.

"It's not like I have a choice Xanthe," I mumble, if only I had the time to invest in learning how to drive. Life would've been much easier, it would've saved me time from going inside a school bus filled with noisy high school students.

Xanthe takes a moment to look at me, brushing his raven hair back. "You seem a little angry, did anything happen Zara?" he says softly, making my heart soften.

Taking out my anger on Xanthe was wrong, it's not like he was there at the masquerade party and had an idea of what Carter said to me. He's not at fault.

"Nothing happened," I mumble, silence overwhelming the atmosphere. Xanthe doesn't say anything, he continued to use the phone in his hand.

He looks up, meeting my eyes. "You know you're really good at hiding stuff, that's what I've always noticed about you." he says bluntly, his words leaving me to shiver in my seat.

He knows. He knows how I hide everything from the people around me? How is Xanthe able to realise such a thing when my own family can't? It makes no literal sense how a person I barely speak to, knows me like an open book.

"That's nice to know," I murmur, looking at the ground below. "But you're wrong, I don't have anything to hide." he looks at me in disbelief, shaking his head at my words.

"I know what happened." Xanthe says.

I look up, he doesn't seem to meet my eyes. "How do you know what happened?"

He shrugs his shoulders, "I just do."

I grow skeptic of his words. I didn't see Xanthe that night at Lisa's party, if I did I would've noticed him in the speed of light; after all he's not someone you can just miss.