Chapter 11

My heart was thumping against my chest so hard I was afraid it would burst through at any moment. I was struggling to regulate my breathing as I continued to intake heavy breaths of oxygen, trying to ignore the burning of my throat. Beads of sweat ran from my hairline down my face, and I desperately needed a new coat of deodorant.

"Hol-" I stammered, "Hold on." I bent over, hands on my knees, and gasped for air. "Gimme a sec."

My best friend just shook his head at me bemusedly, chuckling to himself while I tried regaining feeling in my lungs. He jogged and bounced in his place looking as if he just woke up from an energizing nap. "We've barely made it 5 minutes from the restaurant, and this is your second break already."

"You suggested to go running together, not me, oppa." Jungkook smiled at the endearment before patting my head and beginning to jog ahead of me.

"Come on, you need to build endurance."

After slicking back my loose hairs into my headband, I speedily made my way back beside the Golden Maknae, who glanced at me before laughing again.

Asshole. Remind me why he's my best friend again?

"How are you so skinny if you can barely make it one block?"

I huffed, trying to keep up with his pace. "I do the occasional work out, I just don't do cardio. Running is Satan's sport." Jungkook found this funny and roared out a laugh again. I just rolled my eyes.

We continued on running for another excruciating 10 minutes before I finally stopped for another breather. While I was resting against a wall for dear life, Jungkook, who still seemed unfazed from the exercise, asked me, "Is it okay if we stop by SM real quick? Jaehyun still has my jacket from last time we went bowling and I want to pick it up."

I simply nodded, too focused on my breathing and very aware of how sweaty I was. It wasn't until we were back on our way that I realized the high likelihood of running into Mark at the building, and the attire I was currently wearing. Since we were running, I opted for a pair of high wasted leggings and a fitted cropped shirt that had straps crossing in the back. The outfit was fairly formfitting, accentuating my nonexistent curves, and I suddenly felt awkward thinking of Mark seeing me so exposed after our date.

Last night, after the picnic beside the Han River, Mark and I had taken the bus back to my area. I had rested my head on his shoulder, our hands intertwined in his lap, and dozed off. When I awoke, I was in the safe confines of his arms, my head nuzzled between his chin and collarbone. I could feel his warmth and smell the alluring aroma of his cologne as he had been carrying me home bridal style.

When I made my consciousness apparent, Mark had put me down to walk beside him the rest of the way. At the door to my restaurant and home, we bid farewell after giddily reminiscing the night's events. He had engulfed me in a tight hug, and when he pulled away I gave him a kiss on the cheek. He waved me off with a cheeky smile on his face, and I had headed inside.

The thought of seeing Mark again after last night made my already struggling heart skip a beat. I became so lost in thought that I had stumbled on the sidewalk and right into Jungkook who safely tucked me in his arms before I could fall and hoisted me onto my feet.

"How are you still so clumsy?" He asked, amused. I merely shrugged trying to laugh it off while apologizing. "What were you so distracted by? You had that look on your face that you get when you think." I hummed in acknowledgment at the mention of my habit of biting and gnawing on my lip.

"It was nothing, just a new recipe I found." I lied. I don't know why I lied, I trusted this guy probably more than anyone else in my life, we spent years relying on each other and raising each other up, crafting memories and milestones in each other's lives. But for some reason, after Hoseok's party, I felt that my relationship with Mark was not something I should delve too deep into with Jungkook.