Chapter Seven: Tove Heard It Too

The next day, Leif set to work creating a map. The strong Viking men took the axes and used them to chop down trees. Thora and Tove, once again, were in charge of the youngsters. However, today they could go where ever they wanted to, but Thora and Tove were expected to "use their good judgment if they saw anything dangerous or threatening". Today, Skye was leading a group of brave explorers on a deadly mission. They inspected every rock and tree on the three main islands. They also gathered sticks for a "special and secret purpose" according to Skye. In truth, they had been instructed to gather any firewood they came across.

At midday, everyone gathered at the beginnings of the town hall building to eat the noon meal. Iona and the other women had gathered nuts, berries, and other plants on the island that they knew were safe to eat. Thora was glad, because the food the evil chief had sent on the outcast boat for Tove and his friends was mostly spoiled.

After the lunch break, the men picked up their axes and the women gathered bags they had made out of old clothes. They all headed off for the forest. Skye decided it was too hot (it was remarkably warm for the time of year) and led the expedition to the nearest beach. Thora and Tove sat on the rocks that framed the beach, dipping their toes in the water.

"Tove, did you hear anything last night?" Thora asked.

"No," Tove said uncertainly. "Wait – actually, I think I did. Did it come from the forest?"

"Yes," said Thora.

"Did it sound like animals being killed?"

"Yes."

"Do you think whatever-it-was could have been the reason for the island's name?"

"It could be. This is bad. I should tell Father."

"No, wait," said Tove. "Before you do that, let's lose the peanut gallery here and take a look in the woods ourselves."

Thora laughed at the idea of calling Skye and her gang "the peanut gallery".

"What's so funny?" Tove asked.

"Nothing." Thora sobered. "That's a good idea. But how do we ditch them without getting in trouble?"

"Oh. That's the easy part." Tove grinned mischievously.