Chapter Eleven: What do You do When Attacked by Dragons?

Everyone was gathered in the street, waiting for Leif to start the impromptu assembly. A few children were crying, some people were panting, and others were quiet. Skye was still too stunned to speak - a new experience for her. The triplets were clinging to Dustin. Tove was looking nervous. Leif spoke.

"Has anyone seen these creatures before?"

Thora looked at Tove. He looked like he was going to explode with their secret. Knowing it would be best if it came from her, Thora spoke up.

"Yes, Father, I have."

"You have, Thora? Were you alone?"

"No, Father."

"Who was with her?"

Tove trembled. Did he think Leif was going to beat him?

Thora grabbed Tove's hand and brought him to Leif.

"He did."

Leif looked at Tove.

"When?"

"The night before last," Thora said for Tove. "I was going to check a certain part of the woods, and I saw one eating."

"Did it try to hurt you?"

"Yes."

"Where were you, Tove?"

"I saw Thora leave, Sir. I thought I might know where she was going."

"You did?" Thora asked.

"Did anyone get hurt?"

Thora nodded. She showed Leif Tove's back.

"What happened?"

"I was walking in the forest when the creature heard me and was going to attack me, but Tove jumped out of nowhere and fought it. He scared it off, but it scratched him.

"I can sense that you are leaving something out, Thora. What is it?"

Tove answered for her.

"Three nights ago, we both heard the sound of animals being killed coming from the forest. The next day we went to investigate and found burned bones, animal fur, feathers, and a scale, plus the animal's paw prints. I studied them and found that it is a carnivore, a reptile, has wings, claws, weighs more that three of us, and has powerful jaws."

"So Thora went there in the middle of the night even though she knew it was dangerous? And you didn't think to tell me?"

They hung their heads.

"I will speak with you, later, Thora. Thank you, Tove, for saving my daughter."

Tove nodded. Then the two went back to Skye and Dustin.

"Thora and Tove have seen these beasts. Thora was attacked by one." Several people gasped, including Iona. "Tove saved her. Thank you, Tove."

People turned to smile and applaud Tove. He looked at Thora. She was looking sick. Leif was a calm, gentle man, but when he was really angry, you did not want to be in an argument with him. Thora was in for it and she knew it was going to be a loud, long dispute.

Thora was absolutely right. He started by asking her why she didn't tell him when she first heard the noise. Next, how did she find the time to go to the forest with Tove when she was watching the children? She blamed Tove for that. He also wanted to know why she didn't tell him what she found in the forest, why she went to the forest in the middle of the night, and why she didn't tell him then. Leif concluded with her punishment: she wasn't allowed to associate with Tove for the rest of today or tomorrow and she had to stay in the house. Also, no one was allowed approach the dragons.

Annoyed with her punishment, Thora decided not to "associate" with anyone. When Skye asked what it was like coming so close to death, Thora didn't say a word. She just lay on her bedroom floor and stared at the roof. Tove was puzzled when she ignored him that afternoon when he came to see her. While she sat in her room, a house was built for Dustin and the triplets and the woman who'd become their adopted mother. Also, a house was built for Iona's youngest brother, his wife, and their two children. Tove decided to fill the role of village shopkeeper and the men of the tribe helped him build a little shop with an attached apartment. Thora was very bored. Stupid dragons. It was their fault. She wondered if the dragons would come back again. Thora decided that the first thing she would do when she got out of this house was make a mattress for this room. And then spend lots of time in the forest. Thora sighed. She still had another day to waste here. She fell asleep on the hard dirt floor.