Chapter Nine: A Midnight Rescue

Thora didn't get a chance to tell her father about the forest that night. When everyone went to sleep, Thora waited until she was sure no one was awake. Then she quietly walked toward the forest. When she was out of earshot, she started running. She reached the forest shortly. She ran to the heart of the forest, the place where she and Tove had been before. The forest had been alive with birds, squirrels, and bug noises then. Now it was silent. Not a cricket chirped or an animal moved. The forest was holding its breath. Thora reached the devastation site. She heard a noise and stopped short.

In front of her, a huge creature stood. Its midnight black scales gleamed in the moonlight. It had four massive paws with dull black claws. It stood next to a burning pile of leaves. It had huge wings. And it was eating something. The creature heard her and turned. It narrowed its blue eyes and growled. It crept toward her. She stifled a scream. It was right in front of her. It reared up, poised to strike, and – thud! – a cleverly thrown stick flew right at the creature's chest. It roared and stumbled back. Someone grabbed Thora and shoved her into the shrubs. It was Tove. He picked up another long stick and pointed it at the creature. The animal looked at him and lit the end of the stick on fire. Then it swiped at Tove and the stick was wrenched out of his hands. He dove for another, but the creature struck him on the back. Tove let out a sharp cry, grabbed another stick and jammed it in the creature's face. It shrieked, then spread its wings and flew off to the caves. Thora lay in the bushes while Tove stood gasping for breath. He picked up the burning stick and used it as a torch. He turned to Thora, who had emerged from the spiky plants.

"Are you all right?" Tove asked.

"Are you?" Thora asked.

"Yes, but I think my back is bleeding."

Thora turned him around. His shirt was torn, and a large gash was visible underneath. She ripped off a strip of her shirt and bandaged it as best she could.

"Good enough for now. It's awful bad Tove. We should get my mother."

"How long is it?"

"Hmm. About my hand and a half's in length. It isn't that deep, though."

"How long is your hand?" Tove took Thora's hand in his and studied it. Thora felt herself blushing.  "That's nothing. I've had much worse than this before."

"What?"

"The man I worked for could make cuts with a whip longer than your arm."

"He beat you, Tove?"

"They all did." He looked straight at Thora's horrified face.

While they started to walk back, Thora thought about this. She knew the parents had been beaten, but the children too? She remembered the cuts on them. Being here with Thora's family must be like a trip to Valhalla for them. She thought about Tove protecting her from the creature. Thora stopped walking. Tove turned around.

"You saved my life."

Tove considered this.

"Yeah, I guess I did. Man, this is so much cooler than what I've been doing for the past three years. Did you see the size of that creature? It was huge!"

"What do you think it was?"

"I have no idea."

"Oh no. I have a bad feeling I do."

"What?" Tove was eager.

"Do you think it could be a dragon?"

"I think you're right."

They continued walking. When they were in the meadow, Thora laughed.

"Skye's right. There are forbidden beasts."

When they reached the village site, Tove whispered to Thora.

"Will you be all right?"

"Yes. But I'm looking forward to having a roof above my head."

"Me too. As long as I lay on my stomach, my back will be fine."

Both of the teens joined their tribe at the partially constructed town hall. They both fell asleep quickly and neither dreamed about the frightful encounter.