Denial

"Straight-backed and proud, the way your father died… And now - we duel." I heard Voldemort say, his voice like a hiss.

I opened my eyes, everything blurry for a minute before things came into focus. Voldemort had his wand raised, and was pointing it at Harry. Harry didn't even have a chance to blink before the Cruciatus Curse was used on him, making him yell and twitch on the ground.

I grimaced and struggled to my feet, only to be pushed back down to my knees. A Death Eater had both my elbows in his large and beefy hands, so similar to Uncle Vernon's. I was on my knees in perfect sight of Voldemort and Harry, who had just gotten off the ground and was staggering.

"A little break," said Voldemort, the slit-like nostrils dilating with excitement, "a little pause… That hurt, didn't it Harry? You don't want me to do that again, do you?"

Thankfully, Harry didn't answer. Harry wasn't going to beg for death, we're Potters, we never beg.

"I asked you whether you want me to do that again," said Voldemort softly. "Answer me! Imperio"

Harry's eyes looked dazed but confused. I knew he was going to fight it; he was as good as me in fighting the Imperius Curse, he can do it. . . he can . . .

"I WON'T!" Harry shouted, his eyes focused now, much more furious.

I smirked.

"You won't?" said Voldemort quietly, and the Death Eaters were not laughing now.  "You won't say no? Harry, obedience is a virtue I need to teach you before you die… Perhaps another little dose of pain?"

Voldemort raised his wand, but this time Harry was ready; with the reflexes born of his Quidditch training, he flung himself sideways onto the ground; he rolled behind the marble headstone of Voldemort s father, and he heard it crack as the curse missed him.

"We are not playing hide-and-seek, Harry," said Voldemort's soft, cold voice, as the Death Eaters laughed. "You cannot hide from me. Does this mean you are tired of our duel? Does this mean that you would prefer me to finish it now, Harry? Come out, Harry… come out and play, then… it will be quick… it might even be painless… I would not know… I have never died…"

Harry lunged out from behind the headstone with his wand high.

Voldemort was ready. As Harry shouted, "Expelliarmus!" Voldemort cried, "Avada Kedavra!"

A jet of green light issued from Voldemorts wand just as a jet of red light blasted from Harry's - they met in midair - Harry's arm was shaking as though he couldn't keep a firm grip on his wand. When the jets of lights connected, instead of the middle being red or green, it was a deep gold.

Then - Harry and Voldemort were up in the air; but their wands never broke from the lights. I gaped, wondering if there was any way I could help. The Death Eater holding me lost grip of my elbows and I fell head first into the dirt. The Death Eaters forgot all about me.

Some took out their wands, yelling for instructions, others rushed foreward and formed a circle around Harry and Voldemort - even the snake circled around them.

The golden thread connecting Harry and Voldemort splintered; though the wands remained connected, a thousand more beams arced high over Harry and Voldemort, crisscrossing all around them, until they were enclosed in a golden, dome-shaped web, a cage of light, beyond which the Death Eaters circled like jackals.

"Do nothing!" Voldemort shrieked to the Death Eaters.

It looked as though he were trying to break the connection, but Harry looked determined to keep it.