the attack

With Peter waking up so early the subway was somewhat empty (still pretty full, but the morning work rush wasn't quite there), Peter made it to school twenty minutes early, despite the hour commute

With Peter waking up so early the subway was somewhat empty (still pretty full, but the morning work rush wasn't quite there), Peter made it to school twenty minutes early, despite the hour commute. When Peter closed his locker, Ned encased him in a surprise hug. He jumped slightly before wrapping his arms around his friend.

"Hey, Ned!"

"Don't 'hey, Ned!' me! You didn't answer any of my texts! I thought you died!"

Peter blushed sheepishly. "S-Sorry. I was getting to know and moving in with my dad."

Ned sighed. "It's okay, just text me back! I worry about you, Peter."

Peter shifted on his feet. "I will, I swear."

They quickly did their handshake, or as quickly as they could with how ridiculously long it was, as MJ walked up. MJ didn't greet them with her normal playful insults. "Hey, Peter. Anything any better?"

"Slightly. No offense Ned, but it's somewhat better now that I'm actually living with someone who's in my family."

"Oh, they found someone? Who?"

Peter swallowed. MJ was never a fan of his dad, since she believes he simply left him as a baby. The story that his dad was simply never told about Peter sounded incredulous. "M-My dad, actually."

MJ's face showed clear dissatisfaction. "Oh. That douchebag."

"MJ, he's not-"

"A douchebag that left you at birth and is for some god forsaken reason taking care of you, which there is no doubt-"

"MJ!" Ned snapped, noticing Peter become uncomfortable.

MJ huffed. "Fine. I'll drop it. I just don't want you to get hurt, Peter."

"If you want to meet him, you might be able to come over this weekend."

MJ scowled. "Yeah. I want to have a word with him."

Peter signed. Having MJ meet Tony Stark would be... problematic to say the very least. She already didn't like Peter's dad for never being there for him, but she really hated Tony Stark. She didn't like him because he was the one who created the weapons that killed her uncle, he created Ultron and that battle almost killed her mom, who was in Sokovia to help with the locals, he had countless acts of reckless behavior, and he's 'just a douche with way too much money' according to her. Though her meeting Tony Stark may end up with MJ socking him in the jaw, but maybe all that anger will drain out of her when she sees Black Widow (who she 100% has a crush on, despite her disputes). Maybe she'll cuss him out. Maybe she'll accept him.

"Please be somewhat nice to him, please, okay?" Peter begged softly.

MJ shifted uncomfortably. "Fine."

"Yay! Thank you!" Peter hugged her, Ned joining the hug soon. Despite trying to keep up her 'what the fuck ever' attitude, she patted both of their backs.

Ned threw his arms around his friends, starting to guide them towards their shared homeroom. "So, how big's where ever you're staying? Huge? Does he have pets?"

"It's gigantic. My room itself is as big as my old apartment in Queens! And, sadly, no pets."

"Aw. Boo!"

"I know, but my dad doesn't even seem like a fish per-"

"Penis Parker!"

MJ blew air out her nose. Peter noticed her clenching her fists and whispered, "Don't."

"How you doin', princess?" Flash Thompson mocked, smirking like he was the smartest asshole in the world. Peter ignore him, still walking down the hall. "C'mon, Penis, don't ignore me!"

Peter started walking faster. He heard Flash huff from behind him.

"You're gonna regret ignoring me, Penelope!"

Ned had to hold MJ back as Peter kept walking, wiping tears off his face as he stared at the ground.

~!~

A few hours later in Manhattan, Tony Stark was in the midst of the very beginnings of a panic attack. He rested his elbows on the lab's desk, hands gripping at his brown hair. All this started with Tony thinking of Peter, trying to even get a grasp on that he, Anthony Edward Stark, had a child, a son. A nice, amazing, sweet son who Tony is going to end up ruining. Whether it be from his seclusion, his alcoholism, his trouble forming relationships, his anxiety, or, hell, even just from being a superhero.

Ever since Steve cheated on him, he'd buried himself in so many layers of emotional unavailability, he wasn't sure he could dig himself back out for the... how old was he? 14? 15? 17? This is why Tony doesn't deserve a son. If anything, Steve should have been the one with the child, maybe even Sam or Rhodey or Bruce. But Tony? He didn't deserve anything in his current state or life. His breathing started to become erratic. "Fuck."

"Sir, you appear to be having a panic attack," F.R.I.D.A.Y.'s voice echoed through the lab.

"Yeah, no shit, Fri!"

"I have alerted Dr. Banner about your current condition due to Captain Rodgers' Panic Protocol."

He huffed angrily. "Damn you, Rodgers."

The lab door creaked open. "Tony? You okay down here?"

Tony swallowed hard, trying to keep his breathing under control. "What do you think, Banner?"

Bruce winced. "Okay, Tony. You know the breathing exercises, right? Four in, hold seven, out eight. Here, follow along."

As much as Tony hated taking orders or doing things in an organized fashion, he learned that during his panic attacks, having his breathing to focus on helped. After about ten minutes of breathing with Bruce, he placed his head in his hands as he finally started to calm down.

"What happened to cause this one?" Bruce asked softly. "Was it Steve again?"

Ever since his break up with Steve, he's been having more frequent panic attacks. The stupid protocol had Bruce come find him when ever he's having one. And Tony can't over ride the dumb protocol. All of this together forced Bruce to be Tony's personal, free therapist.

Tony, unable to form coherent thoughts after anxiety spikes unless it was his deepest, darkest fears, just blurted out, "I'm going to ruin Peter's life. I'm so not ready for a kid and I'm going to mess him up."

Bruce sighed. "No you're not. We're all here to help you, okay? You won't mess him up, he's a good kid and even he'll help you if he needs to. Plus, here's a secret I've come to learn. No one's ready to have a kid. I would go say talk to Clint, but he-"

"Yeah, I know. I wouldn't dream about asking him about kids or family anytime soon."

"Feeling any better?"

"Su-"

"Sir, Mister Parker has entered the tower and appears distressed," F.R.I.D.A.Y.'s voice chimed.

Tony's slight, developing dad senses kicked in. "I'll go try to help?"

"Yes, Tony, that's typically what parents do when their child is in distress."

He jogged up the stairs just in time to grab Peter as he left the elevator. Peter's hood was covering his face but by the sniffling, Tony knew he was crying.

"Peter, what's wrong-"

"I don't want to talk about it." Tony grabbed his wrist.

"Pete-"

"I said I don't want to talk about it!" Peter yanked his wrist away and stormed to his room.

Word Count: 1202

i feel like i should mention this book is a slow-burn? like theres a ton of bonding and repairing. nothing really happens instantaneously, ya know?