the persistance

Steve was going to make Peter like him if it's the last thing he ever does

Steve was going to make Peter like him if it's the last thing he ever does. He hasn't been able to talk to Tony yet, and that conversation has been chipping away at the edges of his sanity. But, like a good captain, he has a plan.

1) Get Peter to trust him
2) Get Peter to help get Tony to trust him
3) Get Tony to fall in love with him again
4) Get to have a great little family with the two boys

And he will do it. If Steve is two things, persistent and stubborn are them. Maybe he'll get to be in love again. Maybe he deserved a second chance.

The oven beeped quietly and Bucky rushed over, just grabbing it with his metal arm, but Steve still snapped, "Be careful, Buck!"

Bucky rolled his eyes and he scooped the cookies off the metal pan. Clint, who has a super sense for food, swooped into the kitchen and tried to steal a cookie, but Bucky slapped his hand away. "Good Lord, you're almost as annoying as Sam."

Slowly, everyone congregated in the kitchen, and despite Bucky's efforts, ate the cookies. Tony even grabbed a few, claiming they were for Peter.

"Hey, Stevie," Tony called, walking out of the kitchen, "walk with me."

Steve has never put a sketchbook down so quickly in his life. He quickly followed the billionare down the hall to his workshop. "Come sit."

Steve carefully sat down next to Tony. Tony wouldn't look up from his feet. "What's up?"

"I-" Tony swallowed again, looking completely away from him. "You- You didn't mean to cheat on me did you?"

"What?"

"You didn't mean to kiss that girl, did you?" Tony said a little more forcefully.

"N-No. I didn't- I would- I would never hurt you on purpose, Tony."

"Can you explain what happened that night?" Tony grabbed his hand gently, making Steve's heart flutter again.

"I- I was being an idiot. I-I felt like you were trying to ignore you so I wanted a way to get you to notice me somehow. So, I just decided to flirt and she kissed me and you just looked over at the wrong time-" Steve took a deep breath. "Sorry."

"And... why did you say all that shit to me when you stormed out?"

"'Cause I'm an asshole and an idiot, Tones. I-I was mad and hurt and my idiotic brain wanted to make you hurt as much as I did. I know that sounds just plain cruel, but in the moment it made sense."

"Well, if that was your goal, you succeeded," Tony said, trying to laugh, but getting choked up. Oh, God, he was trying to lighten the mood. Steve gripped his hand harder.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Tony."

"I still love you, dumbass. I never stopped. Maybe I'm the idiot here."

"I love you so much, Tones," Steve whispered, staring into Tony's eye.

And then Tony kissed him. Steve curled his hands into the front of Tony's shirt, keeping him right where he wanted him. Slowly, Tony broke away from the kiss, resting his forehead on Steve's. "I love you too, Stevie."

Steve smiled goofily. "That's one hellava way to say it."

Meanwhile, Peter was riding the elevator up to the top floor. Even though he knew he was gonna get fussed at, he was still kinda over the moon from Cooper.

"Hey, Fri, tell Dad I'm home. I know he wanted to talk to me."

"Mr. Stark has told me to tell you to meet him in his workshop."

Peter swallowed hard, scratching his arm. He scampered down the stairs before knocking on the glass door.

"Come in, Peter."

Oh no. He used his full name. He opened the door to see his very angry dad. And Captain Annoying himself sitting right behind him.

"Come in, have a seat." Peter tried to grab the chair from his desk. "Next to Steve."

Peter slowly sat next to Steve, scooting as far away from the man as possible. Tony sighed. "Peter, you know why you're in here."

Peter mumbled, "Because I told you the truth."

"Peter Benjamin! Contrary to your belief, I can take care of myself and make my own decisions."

"Well, I'm sorry, but this decision is wrong."

"Well, I don't need to ask my child about everything I do in my romantic life!"

"But, Dad- wait. Romantic?"

"Yes, Steve and I have decided to be in a relationship again."

"What?!" His head snapped over to look at the blonde, who was blushing and avoiding eye contact. "He's gonna hurt you again!"

"And if that's so, that will be my fault."

"But-"

"Peter. This is my decision. And that's that. Now, you shouldn't yell at your father or anyone older than you. That's plain disrespectful. Now say that you're sorry."

Peter cowered, keeping his eyes away from Tony. "I'm sorry, Dad."

"Not to me."

"Bu-" Peter huffed. "Sorry."

"With eye contact. And more respect."

Peter rolled his eyes. He looked Steve into his stupid blue eyes. "I'm sorry, Captain."

"Peter-!"

"No, Tony, it's fine." Steve grinned at the teen and held out his hand. "I hope we can be friends."

"I'm not-"

"Shake his hand, Peter."

Peter growled under his breath. While shaking Steve's hand, he whispered, where only Steve could hear him, "If you hurt my dad, I will destroy you."

"And Peter, you're grounded. For two weeks."

Peter huffed quietly and picked up his book bag again. "Fine."

"Tony, you don't need to do this-"

"Quiet, Steve. He needs to learn his lesson. You may have been quite rude, but you can't fight fire with fire. He needs to learn that."

Steve smiled softly. "You're such a great dad, Tones."

Tony smiled and hugged him.

Word count: 971