the case

(Ok y'all I know I haven't updated in seven years but I do have reasons
1) school has been kicking my absolute ass.
2) I've been trying to spend more time with my family
3) I need surgery for my knee and I'm almost constantly in pain so it's hard to focus enough to write
Sorry this is so bad and rushed.)

Clint was curled into Bucky's chest, fingers tapping gently against his metal arm. Clint was... panicking to put it extremely lightly. He forgot how stressful it was to be a parent.

Cooper started getting nightmares, which were stressing him out and giving Clint second hand stress. Bucky is trying to help to the best of his ability, but Clint is nervous about everything.

Cooper's nightmares, Lila wanting to be with him again, the simple fact that he might see his little Nathaniel again, his fucking court case for his kids the next day... and that's not even mentioning where ever the hell Peter's been at night.

Clint knows he's been sneaking out. Sometimes, when his anxieties at night get the best of him, he goes and checks in on Peter and Cooper. Cooper, more often than not, is fast asleep, snoring as much as Clint know he snores, but Peter is either thrashing, wide awake, or just not there. But he's always back by morning.

Like tonight.

He'll be back by morning.

Right?

"I'm just going to check again-"

"Clint, no. Just relax and try to get to sleep."

Clint curled up into Bucky's chest and tried to go to sleep. He really did, but he just kept thrashing until the sun rose on the city's horizon. Clint forced himself out of bed long after Bucky pulled himself into consciousness. 

"Mister Barton, Mister Barnes wanted to make sure you get dressed in time for your case."

Clint let out a long sigh. "Thanks, Fri."

Clint slipped into a long sleeved button up, matching it with a black blazer and a purple tie. He stumbled his way to the kitchen, where Cooper was chugging a pot of coffee just like his old man.

"Hey, Coop, wheres Peter?"

"I-I kinda begged him not to be here for this. I think he went with Tony to Miami this morning since he isn't here."

Okay, so Peter is fine. He's just paranoid.

"Is your boyfriend coming, Dad?"

"Yeah. He's coming as emotional support," Clint grinned.

"And I thought y'all weren't fucking, huh?"

"Shut up, kid."

Bucky stepped into the kitchen, kissing Clint's forehead and handing him a cup he salvaged from Cooper. "Drink up, we gotta get goin' soon."

Clint and Cooper groaned loudly, making Bucky chuckle. "C'mon, let's go."

Clint chugged his cup of coffee and followed Bucky, wrapping an arm around his son.

"Ready, Coopster?"

"Yeah, Dad. Let's do it. Let's kick her ass!"

Bucky called over his shoulder, "That's assault!"

As the car crawled toward the court house, his leg started shaking more and more. Cooper rested his hand on Clint's shoulder and Bucky's hand ended up interlaced with his own.

"You're gonna do fine, Clint, your kids are gonna be yours again. Your ducks are all in a line," Bucky mumbled.

"I know, still nervous."

Bucky nodded and squeezed his hand tightly as they pulled up to the courthouse. Clint spotted Lila sitting on the bench in front. Clint stepped out of the car and rushed to hug her. "Hey, kid."

"Hey, dad!"

"Coop and I missed ya. Now c'mon. I have a court case to win."

Cooper smiled and scooped up his little sister and carried her into the courthouse. Laura was sitting with Nathaniel when she spotted the almost complete family. She glared at Cooper.

"Put down my daughter, you queer," Laura hissed. When Lila was set on the ground, the woman tugged her back towards herself. "I don't need my daughter to be a dyke."

Bucky scoffed, drawing Laura's attention to him.

"Oh, Clint, is this your... friend?"

Bucky smiled, wrapping an arm around his waist. "Boyfriend, actually. Nice to meet you, Laura. See you on the floor."

The brunette winked cheekily and lead Clint and Cooper away. That was the first time either of them put titles on their relationship.

"Do you actually consider me your boyfriend, Buck?"

"If you're ok with it."

Clint smiled. Bucky kissed his head. "There's your lawyer. You got this, babe."

"Clint! Thank God you're here. I needed to talk to you before the case."

His lawyer was a spunky 27 year old named Bridgette who's already made a name for herself in New York as one of the best custody lawyer money can buy.

"I was digging through your last custody battle and I found a game changer!"

Clint listened intently to the young adult, pure shock on his face.

"Thank you, Bridgette! Your a life saver!"

"It's just my job. Now go get your seat."

Nearly two hours into the battle, after Lila and Cooper shared their opinions, Bridgette could tell their lead was slipping, so she brought out the big guns.

"Your Honor, the divorce between Laura and Clint Barton was sometime in 2014, a few months after Sokovia, right? Well, I did some digging and found that the judge for their first custody battle was anti-hero," Bridgette smiled. "In fact, he was later convicted for conspiring an anti-hero terrorist attack. So, if anything, my client was at an extreme disadvantage and should have never lost custody of Cooper, Lila, and Nathaniel. Thank you for your time."

The judge called for a thirty minute recess. Those thirty minutes were the most excruciating minutes of his life. Bucky tried his best to keep him calm, but... it was extremely difficult.

But it was worth it.

"I have come to my decision. The parents will have shared custody over Nathaniel Barton and Clint Barton will have 100% custody over Lila and Cooper Barton."

He did it.

He won.

~!~

After a few hours of celebrating among the four of the small family, Nathan excluded because of Laura, the group finally made it home to a frazzled Steve.

"Guys," he whispered. "Peter's missing."