chapter one: always together

October 1988

"Party at Denbrough's house on friday! Halloween!" Richie whoops as we walk out from the steps at school.

"I'm not going if he's still sick," Eddie says, taking a puff from his inhaler, eyes darting around nervously.

"C'mon Ed," Richie claps his back "don't be such a stick in the mud. You're going, right Neva?" His eyes bulge out of his glasses at me.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world," I say.

"Good," says Stan, catching up to us as we cross the schoolyard.

"I hope it's still happening, with him being sick and all," I say.

"Are you gonna see Bill tonight? If you do-" Stan begins.

"If? They're always together, she'll obviously need to make sure little Billy is okay," says Richie teasingly.

"We're neighbors, Rich," I feel my cheeks flush. "Of course I'll go check on him, that's what any decent friend would do."

"I'd say more than friends," he mutters

"I'd say more than friends," he mutters. I glare at him. It isn't even true, my romantic relationship with Bill is totally one sided, it's been that way ever since Beverly Marsh became his science partner.

"Nevada, ask him if he's still having the party, okay?" Stan asks me. I nod.

"And ask him if he's contagious," Eddie adds. Richie rolls his eyes.

"Right, of course," I laugh, mounting my bike. It begins to rain.

"Bye, Nevada! See you tomorrow," Stanley says as I begin to pedal off. I wave behind me and speed home, excited to see Bill.

Ever since I can remember it's been Bill and I against the world. He's the boy next door, the neighbor in the bedroom window across from mine, a complete cliche. I don't know if it's ever been anything more than friends for him, but I have also liked him ever since I can remember. I adore the way his green eyes glint in the sunlight, his smile, and I even love his stutter. We make eachother laugh, and we're literally always together. We know everything about each other, our families love each other, and I love him. We've never talked about being together, or being with anyone for that matter, but his focus in science class has changed from giggling while mixing acids and bases with me to Bev Marsh. Beverley is popular with the boys in our grade. It makes the girls hate her. I personally think she is beautiful and funny, but I wish Bill wanted me.