chapter two: influenza and lemonade

By the time I get home, it's pouring rain. I run into the kitchen to make Bill's favorite, fresh squeezed lemonade before running through the rain and knocking on the Denbrough's door. Bill's mom opens it, greets me, and then continues to play piano.

As I walk up to Bill's room, I see Georgie going down to the cellar, "Hi Nevada!" He grins.

"Hey, what are you doing going down there?"

"Getting wax for my paper boat! Bill's making it for me upstairs. He said he's dying but I know he isn't," Georgie smiles at me.

I muss his hair, "nobody's dying," I confirm, and climb the stairs to Bill's room. I hear him coughing.

I knock on the door frame twice before entering, Bill turns around lazily in his bed, scattered with tissues but snaps up when he sees me, "Oh! Hi, Nevie," my stomach flips, he's the only person who calls me Nevie. I love it. "Lemonade, aww N- Nevie you sh- shouldn't have!"

"It's just an attempt to brighten up this rainy day" I sit beside him, handing it to him with a hug.

He pulls away quickly, "I don't wanna get you sick, Nevie. We both need to be healthy enough for the party on Friday." He sips his lemonade.

"Right, yeah." I mutter.

"Bill, I got the waaax!" Georgie runs in, paraffin wax in hand, with his signature toothy grin.

Bill gets up and sits at his desk, and paints the little boat with the wax. I notice he's written S.S. Georgie on the side, a smile grows across my lips. That's adorable, he's adorable.

"Alright," he says as he finishes, "There you go! Sh-sh- she's all ready, captain."

"She?" Georgie asks.

"You always call b-boats she."

"She. Thanks, Billy," Georgie hugs Bill and my heart melts.

"Have fun out there," I say to him.

He smiles and throws his arms around me, "thanks, Nevada." He runs out of the room, "see you later! Bye!"

Bill and I smile at each other and go to the window to see Georgie run out of the front door in a yellow rain jacket. He waves to us, Bill grabs his walkie talkie and says, "Be careful." I look at him and he's frowning. Georgie runs down the street in the rain, splashing in puddles.

"What's wrong?" I ask Bill, putting a hand on his arm, his eyebrows are scrunched together, his eyes following Georgie down the road.

He snaps out of it, "Oh, n-nothing Nevie." He coughs and I don't say anything. "How's Bev?" I roll my eyes. "Did she have a science partner today?"

I huff. "I think she worked with Henry or Patrick. I dunno, I don't keep a close watch on Beverly Marsh like you do.

"Henry B-Bowers?" Bill says, ignoring my apparent lack of interest. "That guy's a total ass."

"Yeah Bill. He is. Look, I gotta go home. History project's due tomorrow, but feel better, okay? You think you'll be at school tomorrow?" My voice goes quiet, "I really did miss you today."

"I hope I'll be at school, Nevie. But if I'm not, can you get the homework for me?"

"Of course," I hug him, and he doesn't pull away this time.

As I run through the rain to my house, I see Georgie crouched down in front of a drain on the side of the road. I smile to myself, wondering what he's looking at, and then run inside.