Choose

"You must choose who to save, Night Owl."

Glazed over with tears, doe brown eyes watched through the eyeholes of the mask. On either side of the dark figure was a victim, both bloodied and hardly conscious. Both sights broke his beating heart.

The multitude below gazed up at the tall building, wondering just what in heaven's name was going on. A dark shadow held two bodies over the edge with ease while gazing back at Night Owl, but why wasn't he doing anything?

"On one side we have him," it began, far too amused. "Your sidekick and best friend, Tyler, or as your fans like to call him; Wildcat."

Tyler would've glared and scoffed if he had the strengths to do so. Evan knew this and grew annoyed, growling out bitterly, "he's not my sidekick, he's my partner."

The figure didn't seem to care as it slightly lifted the other mangled body. The sight made Evan sick to his stomach, it was too much.

"Then there's him. The reason you breathe, the reason you cry, am I right?"

He cried, Evan cried. Silently, painfully suffocating himself as he forced his labored breathing and sobs down. The mask hid this swirl of emotions but the figure knew better, the figure knew it struck a chord.

"Delirious, this city's villain aside from myself. The man you've hated and hunted down all your life, the one you swore to put behind bars, maybe even kill."

Evan's jaw clenched and unclenched under the thick rubber of his headwear. Multiple veins began to show on his neck and forehead from the physical strain Evan was under to swallow his anger.

"And yet here you are, years later after becoming a superhero and you're sneaking around with your worst enemy."

Despite wearing the mask, Evan felt those familiar blues boring into his own. The betrayal in Tyler's ice cold oceanic orbs had Evan looking at the ground in shame.

"So tell me, Night Owl," it mocked, "who will it be?"

"Choose carefully," it continued after a short silence, "one choice will lead to less danger in the city, the other will lead to disaster. People will die, crimes will skyrocket with one less hero to stop them."

He didn't have to think, his mind was made up the second he saw him over that ledge, beaten and broken both physically and mentally.

Evan held out a hand, "I choose to save .."

The response that changed the fate of Los Santos had a tremendous wave of shock crash over the crowd as they watched a familiar figure fall to his doom.

"Him."