Chapter 1

"A distant stranger that I will complete."

***

I remember when it all started. It was a normal usual day. Nothing about my day seemed off as I walked through my home town. The blue birds were still crawled up in the tops of the creaking trees, crying and screaming as usual. The weather was nice- or as nice as it would get in the middle of April. The blooming flowers scattered across the grass were still just as vibrant as any other day. The neighborhood dog still barked his head off and tried to claw his way through the fence as I walked by, paying no attention to the mutt.

I smiled as I nod my head off to the music blaring through the earbuds shoved in my head. Wait no- I smirked. Harry Styles doesn't smile. Harry Styles would never show a smile since that horrific day. Or at least that was what I believed at the time being.

Anyways, back to my story. I was walking down the street, smirking as I listened to the familiar lyrics of a Panic! at the Disco song. It was a catchy song and brighten my mood in the slightest. Which that in itself was surprising. Nothing ever brighten my mood. Until him. But before that, Brendon Urie would have to suffice. So there I was, walking down the road, in no hurry, knowing I wouldn't be late for work considering I woke up before my alarm went off that morning. Breathing out a large puff of smoke from the cigarette placed between my slightly chapped lips, I kicked a small rock as I made my way to the small local shop. It was a shop that had basically everything in it to small nick-knacks to sunscreen to harsh winter gear. Not many people went in it, considering most people preferred Walmart's items. I loved that. I didn't have to see people from school there and I didn't have to communicate with customers often. Basically I just earn money by standing there. It's a nice job.

Before going inside, I take in one last drag of the cigarette and when I'm done, I flick it to the ground and press the lit end with the tip of my shoe into the cement. I push open the doors, wincing when I hear the squeak of the door and then the sound of the bell that always rang way too late.

"Ahh, Styles! Nice to see you showed up today," my boss spoke with the same smirk that was on my own face.

As I take one earbud out of my ear I say, "It was a one time thing Joe. When are you going to let it go?"

Joe gave me a smile. "When pigs can fly."

I shake my head slightly, smirk still placed on my face.

"Aye Harry! Come to take my spot," Nathan questioned as he came out from the back room which held the cleaning supplies.

"Yeah," I mumbled. I wasn't very fond of Nathan after all the countless times he tried flirting with me, all of which ended in failure for him.

Nathan sighed, "Well I guess I'll be going now. Can't be late. You sure you can't take off to come Harry? It'll be fun."

"I'm positive," I said, declining his offer to his family's barbecue. "I just love Joe way too much to just leave him here alone. Plus I need the money."

"Well, I'll be on my way then. Bye Joe," he gave him a smile. Before walking out the door, Nathan grabbed my elbow.

He glanced up at me and looked me in the eyes with a smile.

"Bye Harry." He gave my arm a squeeze and then left.

I simply glared in return.