Chapter 5

"I was naive and hopeful and lost.
Now I'm aware and driving my thoughts."

***

I sit on the large couch with a fuzzy blanket over my lap, watching the telly. Titanic was on and I was so focused on the screen, I almost didn't notice my father calling my name.

"Harry."

"Yes dad?" I pause the telly.

"We're all going to grocery store. Do you want to come with?"

I think about it for a moment.

"Sure."

But then I look back up at the telly, seeing Jack. He had quite the looks with his dark blond hair and bright blue eyes. Every guy my age would be obsessed with Rose, yet my eyes were always drawn to Jack. I've never really thought about Rose. It's always been him. And I know why. I've known for a long time actually, although no one else knew.

I, Harry Styles, am gay.

Suddenly, Gemma plops down beside me on the couch.

"Goodness Jack is handsome," she says looking at the paused image on the telly.

"He's alright," I mumble.

That's a lie. Jack is so much more than alright.

"Alright? Harold are you blind? Look at him. Now that's a bloody man right there."

Her words are absolutely correct.

"Well comon' Harry, we got things to buy."

She offers me her hand after she gets up.

"Uh, actually I think I've changed my mind. I'm going to stay here. Finish watching this."

"Oh. Well okay then."

My mother comes out from the kitchen.

"Harry, do you need anything from the grocery store?"

I pause, thinking.

"Can you get me some fruity pebbles please," I ask.

"Of course darling," she speaks softly. "We won't be gone too long. Don't make a mess."

"Yeah Harold, don't make a mess," Gemma repeats, smiling as she fluffs my hair.

I swat her hands away. "Whatever."

I grab the remote and press play to resume the movie.

"Oh! And feed Dusty while we're gone please."

Gemma rolls her eyes. "Alright mum, let's go. I want to get back in time to see the foggy car scene," she finishes with a smirk.