Chapter 2

"He says, bad days, looking for the great escape."

***

I stare back at his selected items for a moment. No- if I'm going to tell this story it has to be the nothing but the truth. Truth was, I was staring at these items laid out before me on the counter for a good solid minute. My green eyes flickered to the items then back up to his eyes.

"Well aren't you going to check me out?" He speaks impatiently with his eyebrows raised.

Oh if only he knew I already checked him out as soon as he walked in.

Wow Harry this is totally the best time to be a horny creep.

My brain is at a million different places at once.

What do I do?

With these items, it seems like this beautiful man is going to try to kill himself.

I bet this man has a nice big family that loves him. I mean who couldn't love this guy, he's too precious not to love. He probably has a girlfriend, or maybe a boyfriend that cares deeply about him. I'm almost certain that this guy has many friends in his life that really do love him.

I can't just let this guy kill himself. I can't let his loved ones go through the same thing I went through. Or should I say the same thing I'm going through.

Because the pain never ends.

I shake my head slightly as if to clear my thoughts.

"I-I can't let you walk out with those things," I say my words carefully.

The beautiful man before me looks astonished.

"What do you mean you can't let me walk out with these? I enter the store, pick out my items, and you check me out. I'm pretty positive that's how it's supposed to work."

Sassy much?

The sight of him had me frozen, but the sound of his voice, which was slightly high, made me actually stumble a bit on my feet.

"I mean I can't let you buy these things. I'm not going to be the one at fault for a suicide."

He retaliates without hesitation. "You won't be at fault for a suicide. It's suicide, not murder. Besides, how do you even know this is for a suicide? I could just be in need of these things." He speaks fiercely.

"Who is in need of rope, a pack of razor blades, and," I pick up the pill bottles and read them each. "back relief, pain medicine, and cough medicine all at once?"

After a moment of nothing but silence, he mumbles, "Me."

"Why," I ask suspiciously.

"There is no need for this!" He snaps. "Just check me out please, so I can be on my merry way."

"Tell me why first. Then I'll check you out."

He releases an angry huff of air through his mouth.

"My mom needs rope for something, I need to replace the uh-" he pauses. " um my razors in my pencil sharpener, and uh my dad needs the back and pain medicine, whilst my sister has a nasty cough. Now check me out."

I narrow my eyes at him. "You hesitated. I don't believe you."

"Well it's true! Now check me out you stupid cashier!" He shouts with frustration.

"No," I say calmly.

He bangs his fists on the counter, although his tiny fists did no damage. They barely even made a noise. "Yes! Check me out! I just want to leave."

"Leave this store, or leave the Earth?"

He sighs and mutters, "Both."

I focus on him for a second. His dark eye bags begin to stand out to me just now.

"Why?"

"If you won't scan my fucking items right now, then I'll just go to bloody Walmart."

I look at him closer.

"I just want to help you."

"Well then help me by checking out my stuff," he says as his small fingers taps on his suicidal items.

Not giving up, I say in a steady voice, "Give me three weeks. Three weeks to change your mind. Then if you still feel the need to go kill yourself, I'll check out these items for you."

He stares at me with raised eyebrows. "Are you serious?"

"Absolutely."

He shakes his head and lightly mutters, "This is ridiculous."

Yet, it seems that the stunning boy seems to think about it for a moment as he states, "Just three weeks?"

I remember feeling the grin stretch across my face in joy.

"Just three weeks," I confirm. "Your items will stay behind the shelf until then."

The guy before me runs a hand through his hair before glancing back up to me, his stunning blue eyes shining more than ever before. This man is beautiful. I can't just watch and approve of someone so beautiful to just give up.

With a worrisome glance, he returns my gaze.

"Fine. Okay. But after three weeks, I'm done."

I smile at the beautiful boy before me.

"You won't regret this."

Although by the look in his unsure eyes, it seemed like he already was.