Chapter 7

"I'm afraid somebody else might take place."

***

"So," Louis begins as his fingers thump against his glass of alcohol. "How come you're working two jobs?"

I mentally wince at the question.

"Well the bills have to get paid somehow." I take a sip from my bourbon. I wasn't a huge fan of alcohol. To me it tastes like nail polish remover.

Louis netted his brows. "Aren't you in high school?"

I nod and set my now empty glass down. "A senior. It's my last year here. Once I graduate, I'm gone and never turning back."

"Wait, why are you leaving?" His face full of shock.

Most people would stay around here, due to it's beauty, culture, and whatnot. But all I see is misfortune.

"Nothing here worth staying for."

Louis seems dissatisfied with this answer as he shakes his head and asks, "What about your friends? Your family."

My blood runs cold as the words are uttered from his lips.

Suddenly, Zayn is standing alongside our booth.

"Harry! You okay? You look a little pale," Zayn notices.

I just nod silently, and unclench my hands. I look down and notice little, red, moon shaped marks in the palms of my hands from my nails digging into my skin.

Whoops.

"Hey! You didn't tell me you found yourself a lad," Zayn eyes Louis curiously.

"That's because I haven't Zayn," I rolled my eyes at him.

Although I wish I had.

"Oh I see," Zayn pauses and looks at me briefly before gazing at Louis then glancing back at me. He sits down next to me and faces Louis. "So does that means he's on the market?" Zayn's eyes roam over Louis' body hungrily.

I grit my teeth and ignore the cold feeling that crawls throughout my veins as I stare at my friend that is still gawking at Louis.

What the hell? What did he think this was? eBay?

I ignore his comment and say through clenched teeth, "Hey Zayn, how about you do your job and get me some more bourbon."

Zayn raises both of his hands in defense. "Okay, okay. I get it. I'll be leaving now." Zayn turns to leave before pausing and whipping back around.

"Oh, and Harry."

I glance up to his dark eyes. "Yeah?"

He sighs. "I don't want to have to do this, but as your boss, I need to talk to you about the incident that happened earlier. Someone had a complaint." Zayn rolled his eyes.

I nod my head, understandingly. "Okay."

Zayn then walks away from our table.

"Well he seems friendly," Louis glances up at me.

"Yeah." I toss a glance at Zayn as he leaves to go back behind the bar.

"He's really a great person when you get to know him. Once you get past that stage. If it wasn't for him-" I pause, pursing my lips. "I honestly have no idea where I'd be right now."

It's silent for a few moments before Louis speaks up.

"Have-," he pauses and shakes his head. "Never mind sorry."