House arrest

"The Dark Stranger" © VeGirl 2014

A few weeks fly by and no matter how many times I ask Vincent about his cryptic comment about him and me, he is adamant in his refusal to reveal what he meant.

Albeit this puzzle to solve, life is good. Every day Vincent has dinner ready and I can't wait to get home. During my late nights, Vincent is there to meet me when I get off and everybody expects him to hang around. He has somehow become a permanent part of my life... again...

We invite Eddie and Kevin over for a dinner party and we all get along amazingly well. Vincent has an old kind of courtesy and he is well mannered in a way that contradicts his outer appearance. He is extremely attentive towards me and has a wicked kind of humour that has us all bursting with laughter. Nobody seems to even remember that Milo was our fourth group-member just weeks ago.

It is actually mindboggling that people totally ignore the fact that Vincent abruptly has popped into my life in a supernatural kind of way. But then again, I don't tell them we've been married for several hundred years. That might be a little too hard to swallow.

Life is good, and has been for weeks, when one day everything changes. Surprised I look up as I deliver another tray of cupcakes into the store; Vincent is there with Esmeralda.

I widen my eyes. "What are you doing here, Eddie might recognize you!" I hiss alarmed.

Esme just smiles. "No, she won't." There is a confidence in her statement that is confusing. Sure, the girl was definitely not wearing tight jeans and a top like that, last time they met, and her hair is completely different when she flattens it like she has today.

"She's not blind and she can walk out here any minute now," I hiss as I walk around the counter for a more private conversation.

"I promise you!" She widens her eyes and nod in a way to convince me.

"But...?"

Vincent slides an arm around me and kisses my cheek. "I'm getting out of town, but Esme's staying with you. My presence has been... requested by... the..."

"...faction."

"By the organisation...and I'm leaving shortly."

I narrow my eyes. "What are you not telling me?"

Vincent wraps me tight in his arms. "I'll be back as soon as I can, and Esme will protect you."

Eddie walks out into the shop and I freeze. "Hi, what's going on?" she asks.

"Hi Eddie, I'm sorry to pop in like this, but I've been called away on a business trip rather abruptly and I just wanted to say goodbye." Vincent sounds very convincing but I wonder what will happen when the Esmeralda-bust is happening. "Oh, this is Esme, my cousin."

"Hi, I don't think we've met?" Esme is quick to offer her hand to my friend, who looks surprised.

"No, I don't think so. I'm Eddie."

"It is nice to meet you Eddie. We might run in to each other over the next few days. I'm staying in Vincent's house when he's gone."

Alarm is ringing in my ears, but Eddie doesn't show the slightest recollection.

'Calm down!' Vincent's voice flows through my mind and I do my best to obey. "I just came to say goodbye." He pulls me in for a hug and the sentence feels ominous. "I'll try to speed it up so I can come home to you."

"Okay..." Something inside of me is getting more anxious by the second. "And I suppose you can't tell me anything...?"

He sighs with a bitter smile.