Busted

"The Dark Stranger" © VeGirl 2014

We turn towards the flabbergasted guy who stands there glaring at us. "What the hell was that?" he repeats and sounds angry.

"Nick, what are you doing here?" I hurry towards my brother to give him a hug. "I didn't know you were coming...?"

"Hold it there!" He stops me with a hand up. "What the hell were those guys; ufo's aliens?"

I snicker, doing my best to find out how much he has seen. "We just fired off some rockets, celebrating Aoleon." I turn towards her, glad to have come up with a plausible lie.

Nick caught sight of her and suddenly his suspicious mind changes; the anger evaporates.

"Aoleon is one of my biological relatives," I introduce her. "And this is Nick, the guy I grew up with as a brother."

"Hi." Nick push forwards and proffer his hand to the blond girl sitting by the table. "Nice to see you."

"Very nice to meet you too," Aoleon stutters and I watch her lower her eyes and then peak up at my brother through her lashes. "I didn't know she had a brother. I'm her step-sister."

My mouth opens in surprise; they are totally checking each other out!

'Stop starring, it's rude' Vincent sends through our secret channel.

I snap my eyes up at him, standing there smirking at me. 'Stop teasing me then' I send back. "I think you better take me to bed or at least feed me Seymour, I'm hungry," I pout and Vincent chuckles.

"Hold it!"

I turn towards Nick, surprised that he remembers that we are there. "What's the problem my dearest brother?"

"You didn't answer the question."

What question; oh that one?

Since everybody found out the truth about everything it seems I've become even worse at lying. "The guys? Here haven't been any guys."

Nick raise his brows expectantly not buying my obvious lie.

Luckily the patio door opens and Damian and Esme steps out accompanied by Kent. "Dinner is ready." Esme smiles to my relief.

Nick looks startled to find even more people here than he expected, and before he has any time to say something, Damian has gripped his chin and looks him deep in the eyes. "There hasn't been anything weird going on here." Damian let's go of my brother'a chin and proffers his hand. "Hi I'm Damian, Vincent's friend." He smiles at him.

Nick looks like he is shaking off a bad feeling before he smiles back at Damian. "Hi, I'm Nick; Sam's brother."

This sudden amnesia is too weird. I am glad that we at least don't have to introduce Aoleon and run everything once again.

"Mom is bummed since the visit from your other mother," Nick says and a part of me wishes for Damian to visit mom as well and make her forget.

"She doesn't have to be; she is my only mother and will always be." I am totally truthful.

"Chop, chop; dinner is getting cold!" Esme looks like she is smiling, but I can sense caution trickle like smoke from her. "Come on!" She flicks her neck and we get up to follow her inside.

I catch her casting a last glance out in the dusk as she flicks the lock on the door with a sweeping movement. My brows furrows and I send a silent question towards her which she efficiently ignores. 'What is it this time?' I repeat annoyed.

"I ordered your favourite china-food." She smiles at me and I grind my teeth.

We all take a seat around the table and dig in on the delicious food.

'What's going on?' I try not to glare too obviously at her while she efficiently ignores me. 'Esme; what is it?"

"Sometimes it looks like there is something going on behind the surface with you guys." Kent looks suspiciously at Esme and me who are startled by this.

"What do you mean?" I ask with feign innocence, wondering if I can pull it off this time.

He narrows his eyes, but then smiles as if he is suddenly convinced. "Never mind, the food was really good Esme."

"Yeah, I rule when it comes to take-out." Her face is smug and we all snicker a bit.

"So, do you think Abaddon will leave us alone now?" Vincent has a gloating expression.

I turn and glare at him. "Do you really have to call her that?"

He shrugs his brows. "Sorry; force of habit." He looks a little ashamed, but just a little.

"Perhaps I can take a trip up... north to find out." Aoleon suggests to our surprise.

"Does your mother live north?"

"Yeah... Canada," I say before I have even figured the lie out. Perhaps I'm a good liar after all...?

"I have business in Canada, perhaps we can go together?"

We all stop and look at him; none of us knows what to say.

"Perhaps she needs to marianate on this whole baby-thing."

"What baby?"

I blink surprised, and realise I have failed to mention that little detail. "You're gonna be an uncle."

Nick blinks surprised before a smile widen on his face. "Congrats sis!" He round the table and gives me a hug and after that he slaps Vincent on his back. "Congrats to you too man!"

The conversation around the table is much more light-hearted from that on and we welcome the absence of doom and gloom for a change.

After dinner we all sit down in my livingroom, it is as if we all have been living together like a communion for a long time. Esme is discussing magic with two guys who follow her with adoration in their eyes, while Nick and Aoleon has found a corner where they are deeply involved in whether or not Calvin Harris is a better live-performer than John Legend.

I don't understand how much experience or knowledge Aoleon has in this matter; the subject seem too ordinary to discuss at all. Thoughts of everything that has passed between her and me flickers through my mind. "This conflict has taken sibling rivalry to a whole different level." I smile towards Vincent.

"Yeah, but they seem to get along."

I look over to my sister and my brother who has no what so ever family connection, sitting on the couch almost snuggling together. "Yeah, that seems a little weird."

.