mix tape five, six & seven

October 21, 1981

Today fall started, or autumn, whatever you want to call it. I find myself thinking about you a lot, and sometimes even get the pleasure of seeing you. It’s not like we’ve ever talked. Maybe only a few sentences. I don't think you notice me. Or will ever notice me, on that note.

It’s okay. I enjoy seeing you, it brightens my day. But back to where I started; it’s autumn. It didn’t feel like a big day, but a few leaves were falling down the trunks of the trees. It makes me sad to think that they will die. But it’s okay, new ones will grow.

I had a lot of spare time these last few days, but didn’t wrote earlier because I was too busy making three mixtapes. I made three, because that felt like the right amount to make. I hope that’s okay.

I heard this song on the radio today, it was amazing. I didn’t bring my cassette recorder, so I couldn’t record the song and listen to it for about a million times again. But somehow the melody was printed into my brain. I would write down how it went, but that would be useless.

A few sentences sung in the song can’t leave my mind somehow;

 Two hearts that beat as one,

Our lives have just begun.

It made me think of you. I hope our paths cross somewhere in the future, so that I can finally talk to you. But that’s all just one vague dream right now, I’ll have to wait. I won’t go out looking for you, and you won’t go out looking for me. That was the deal right?

                                                                                                    Affectionately Yours,

                                                                                                                             Luke

She nodded. That was the deal. She would love to meet him, he seemed truly amazing. She could only imagine how he looked; which hair colour he wore, what his eyes looked like and whether he enjoyed Sunday mornings as much as she did.

There was something about his letter she enjoyed as much as his music taste. He understood the world, like really understood. And she couldn’t stop smiling because it.

When she realised that three mix tapes awaited her inside the package she threw her hand into it and pulled out one at a time.

The Name Game, the first one was called. The cover covered with all sorts of names –even some of which she had never heard before. Sweet Caroline by Roy Orbison was the song she enjoyed the most. Possessive Protest, was the second. It was creative yet serious.

The last one, was the one that got her smiling the most. Laughable  Kittens it was called. It was the first one she had thrown into her cassette player and she even recognised a few songs.

The only thing that disappoint her was the fact that none of these tapes were supported by the voice of him. It made her sad, but she hoped that soon, he would be on her tape again. So that he seemed right next to her, even if it was just for a little while.