mix tape eleven & twelve

December 31, 1981

I’m sorry. I didn’t know why I wrote you that letter. I was confused and at this moment I’m scared. The worst part is; I didn’t even include a mixtape; and that’s what this was all about right?

I’m so sorry. Again. I wasn’t supposed to say that. It’s just that the words flew out of my ballpoint pen –which I got for my birthday of a friend of mine (which is completely irrelevant to the story, I’m sorry).

I licked the letter close and stood inside of my local post office before I knew it. It was as if my hands had a life of their own and decided to give the old lady the letter along with the money I paid for it to get sent.

I hope you don’t deterred you in any way, and I hope you still enjoy getting my mixtape. Just to make it up to you, I included two mix tapes this time.

In a few minutes it’s going to be 1982, and I don’t know what this year is going to hold, but I hope in one of the 365 days this year clenches on; includes meeting you. Ten, nine, eight, I can’t keep up writing one word a second. Happy new year! I’m going to start writing the new datum- hold on.

January 1, 1982

This feels good. New year new chances. I feel like a new me! Not really, I just wanted to try that out, you know like that woman in the commercials; new year, new me.

I feel like this is getting a real lame letter so I’m just going to stop. I hope you’ll have a splendid year, and that all the world’s luck may enter your life.

                                                                                               Affectionately Yours,

                                                                                                Luke

The two mix tapes were again put into carefully handcrafted cases with all sorts of drawings; including some hearts. The Happy Stranger, the first mix tape, held many of her all-time favourite songs. The Coffee House, the second mix tape, held a lot of new songs; which she didn’t know, but was certain she would adore them in the future.

She smiled. She was slightly confused when she received the previous letter from Luke –especially because there was no mix tape included. Maybe he had forgotten, but he hadn’t. She couldn’t help but blush when she had received the letter.

Except from her mom, nobody had told her ever that they loved her. It had brought tears to her eyes. How wonderful that a complete stranger could actually love her- and there was a big chance; that she loved him too.