BEAUTIFUL

1918. Small Heath, Birmingham.

Arabella was unstacking chairs in the Garrison with Polly, Gladys and Ada. The war was over! Men were coming back home including all of Peaky Blinders, except for her father of course. But at least her brother was.

The girls were setting up a big table across the Garrison. They had planned a big meal for the men when they got home later this evening. Patrick was going to join them nearer the time, he had business to attend to first.

"Do we have all the food?" Belle asked the women as she helped Polly push the table together. Ada walked into the back room where all the newly made food was.

"I think so. We have the chicken and turkey. Gladys famous soup. Trifle, apple pie and ice cream." Ada listed and Belle just nodded her head. She was getting really nervous and seeing John again, he never wrote her back. They have not spoke in three years. Three years too long, some of that was down to Belle first. She was going to take some blame, it was in her nature.

"Are you coming to meet the boys, love?" Polly asked Belle as she placed the chairs in the right place. Belle shook her head.

"I am meeting Patrick at the house and I will have to get change as well. I do not have time." Belle explained in her sweet voice. Gladys walked up to her daughter.

"Is this because of John?" Gladys asked in a soft motherly voice. Her still had changed from her normal dresses to long patterned gypsy ones. She also had a lot of jewellery and rings on, including her wedding ring.

"No mother, I just need to get ready." Belle answered, lying of course. She was terrified to see John again, absolutely terrified.

"Are you going to tell him that you are getting married?" Ada asked her friend. Belle looked down guiltily.

"I do not know how and if I do not then Patrick will let it slip. He gets excited talking about it." Belle admitted as she began to help her mother with the setting of the cutlery. "What if John takes it bad?" Belle asked nervously, Polly shook her head.

"Love, men think with their cocks, as long as he finds another girl he will be satisfied." Polly answered and Belle wrinkled her nose with disgust.

"What will you do when you see John?" Ada asked as she placed the chairs out. Polly had given up so she was taking a cigarette break before they left.

"Slap him." Belle answered not joking but all the girls laughed. Belle just joined in for the sake of it. Twenty or so minutes later, Ada, Polly and Gladys all had their coats on.

"We best be off now." Polly stated as she grabbed her clutch. Belle took of her apron and threw it on the counter.

"Are you sure you don't want to come, Arabella?" Gladys asked, she was still the only one who used her full name. Belle had the hunch that the boys would call her that too because they had been disconnected to Small Heath for years.

"I should really be getting home and the driver is outside." Belle smiled at her mother as she threw on her coat too. Belle was going to get ready for the party, then her and Patrick was set all the food out at The Garrison.

"Okay, love, we shall not be long." Polly replied as she stubbed out her cigarette in the ash tray.

"You can only come in if they front door is open. If it is closed then that means we are not ready." Belle instructed as she walked up to the ladies. Polly looked at her with a furrowed brow.

"And how do we do that?" Polly asked and Belle shrugged her shoulders.

"We should be ready but if we are not then stall them. They probably have not seen women in god knows how long so go the long way round the gentleman's club. That should buy you an extra ten minutes, if Arthur is really bad then twenty minutes." Belle explained as she opened the Garrison door.