Chapter 1: Welcome to Beacon

Ruby walked through the doors of Beacon Academy, where her training as a huntress was soon to begin. After that incident in the courtyard, with that girl Weiss, she was not going to mess up again.

As she walked through the halls of the prestigious academy, the one she had always dreamed of attending, her heart raced. To think that she had gotten in at only 15!

This has to be some sort of record, she thought. Ruby liked the peacefulness of the empty hall, all to herself. Or so she thought.

Just then, another student, dressed in a gray hoodie and pants, covered in detailed markings sprinted by, accidentally knocking into Ruby and breaking her daydreaming state. They fell to the ground with a loud thud. Ruby sat up, her head throbbing.

"Jeez" , she said, "what was that for? Watch where you're...going..."

Her words left her as she opened her eyes to a handsome teenage boy. She was instantly captivated by his curly red hair and his soft gray eyes. She quickly realized that she was staring and looked away.

The boy stood up and brushed himself off, then turned to Ruby, who was still sitting on the ground. He mumbled something and held out his hand. Ruby took it and the boy helped her up. With a quiet and shy voice, he spoke.

"I...I'm sorry about running into you. I didn't mean to hurt you, I swear. I hope you'll forgive me."

Ruby loved the kind aura emanating from him. It washed over her in a wave of warmth, instantly making her feel rejuvenated and pain-free.

She smiled and replied, "Oh, no. Don't be sorry. I should've been paying attention. You're not hurt, are you?" She stared with concern.

"No, I'm fine." He looked down and noticed they were still holding hands, so he quickly let go and blushed. He smiled awkwardly and said, "Where are my manners? My name is Caleb. Caleb Witter. And yours is...?"

Ruby smiled and replied, "My name is Ruby Rose. Glad to meet you. So, are you going to the entrance assembly too?"

Caled said, "Actually, yeah, I am. Hey....aren't you a little young to be going to this school?"

Ruby hated that question. She didn't want to have to explain it to everyone! But she thought up a way to dodge the question. "Well, its a long story, and I'd rather not get into it."

"Oh, alright. Well, shall we get down to the entrance ceremony?" Caleb smiled softly, which made Ruby's heart pound. What is this strange feeling? she thought.

She brushed it off as excitement for the ceremony, and walked with Caleb through the halls.

Along the way, she couldn't help but ask.

"Caleb," she inquired, "what is your weapon? I mean, to be a Hunter or Huntress, you have to have a weapon. But I don't see one on you."

Caleb stopped, and proceeded to remove his jacket and shirt. Suprised, and not sure what this strange boy was doing, she started to panic.

"Caleb! What are you doing?!"

"Oh, sorry." He stopped halfway through taking off his shirt, exposing a small 6 pack. "I guess you'll find out at the ceremony anyway." Caleb put his shirt and jacket back on, and kept walking.

Ruby was still shocked that he had started to strip when she just asked what his weapon was. Caleb called back to her, telling her to follow. His voice pulled her out of her shocked state, and she caught up to him. Still, though, she wondered what weapon this boy was using.

They arrived at the ceremony sooner than Ruby had expected, but when she turned to Caleb, he was gone. She shrugged it off and walked into the crowd, thinking he had gone ahead.

She met up with Yang, and had another run in with Weiss. After the headmaster, Professor Ozpin, gave his very short speech, his assistant, Glynda Goodwitch, asked if any students would like to show off their abilities in a sparring match.

A yell came from the crown the moment she finished speaking. Glynda asked if the student would come up on the stage, and to Ruby's suprise, it was Caleb. Glynda then asked of anyone wanted to face him, and Yang walked up on stage. They got into their fighting stances, and the crowd went silent.

Yang charged at Caleb at lightning speed, but when she threw a punch, it stopped in midair. Yang tried to force her fist to connect with Caleb, but to no avail. A murmur went through the crowd, with everyone confused on why Yang wouldn't land a blow.

Caleb opened his hand, his palm facing Yang. A bluish light surrounded Yang's gauntlet. Ruby could see that Yang was just as confused as everyone else, until the blue light grew stronger and stronger. Yang was then sent flying backwards, and the blue light disappeared. The crowd was filled with suprise and even more confusion, and Ruby became worried if her sister was okay.

Caleb scanned the crowd, and when his eyes found Ruby's, he winked and tore off his shirt, revealing a very muscular body, covered in markings and surrounded by a faint blue aura. It seemed that others noticed too, because Ruby heard whispers of the blue aura around Caleb. Yang stood up and fired a few shots at Caleb. A few people screamed, seeing as 7 bullets were flying right at Caleb's unprotected body. Just when they came withing a few feet, Caleb raised his hands, which were surrounded by the same blue aura that had knocked Yang back.

The bullets slowed down, then stopped completely, half a foot in front of Caleb's hands, which were still raised up in front of him. He slowly brought his hands down, and the bullets slammed into the stage floor. The crowd collectively gasped, and Caleb then ran at Yang, and kicked her, his combat boots glowing blue. His foot didn't even make contact with Yang, but she was sent flying into the wall again. Caleb walked up to her and held out his hand, the same way he had with Ruby. Watching this, and seeing Yang's face, Ruby felt a twinge of pain in her heart. She still couldn't pinpoint what and why she was feeling like this, but she was determined to find out.