Chapter 3: Friends, Teammates, Rivals

Ruby was looking forward to this. The day when she'd be able to show off her skills.

Enough awkward small talk and "getting to know you" stuff. Today, I get to let my sweetheart do the talking, Ruby thought to herself.

Ruby and Yang ran down to the locker room to get their gear, and on their way there, they passed by Caleb's room. Ruby knocked on his door, while Yang stood behind her. A drowsy voice could be heard from inside, followed by a thud and a yell. After a few seconds, Caleb opened the door, looking as if he'd just woken up. His hair was out of place, and his pants were on backwards. His roomate, Jaune, pushed past them, and ran down the hall.

"Caleb, you might wanna get ready...our first exercise of the year is in an hour.", Yang said.

Caleb looked down at himself and closed the door. Ruby and Yang waited a few minutes, and then Caleb burst out the door. He smiled at the girls, and they ran down to the locker room. They talked about teams as they got their stuff ready, and Ruby hoped that she would be on his team. As they finished getting ready, they heard some commotion from the other end of the room. They looked over to see Weiss, a redhead girl, and Jaune. And Jaune was nailed to the wall with a spear.

Caleb got his gear on, and so did Ruby and Yang. Ruby got her Cresent Rose and grinned mischievously, and junped up and down. Her excitement could barely be contained, and she squealed in joy. Caleb laughed, and Yang glanced at Ruby, fire in her eyes.

"So Caleb...why were you shirtless yesterday?", Yang asked, leaning closer to Caleb.

Caleb blushed, thinking about what happened between him and Ruby.

"Uhhhh...it was just...nothing.", Caleb replied, meekly.

Yang snickered, intending to keep her little game going till the end. "You suuuuuure?", she said as she got in Caleb's face.

Caleb's blush became even more noticeable, and he leaned back into the lockers. "It was nothing, I swear!"

Yang smiled deviously, pinning Caleb against the lockers. All she did was stare for a straight minute, as Caleb panicked. Then, out of the blue, Yang planted a soft kiss on Caleb's lips. Ruby gasped and got angry, her sister eyeing her and smiling.

"That was supposed to be mine, Yang." Ruby thought angrily. She decided she'll never forgive Yang for this, and stormed past Yang and Caleb, who were still locked in a kiss.

Eventually, Yang and Caleb made it out to the aircraft pad, and the other trainees wondered why the two had taken so long. Ruby felt she knew exactly why. Yang sat next to Caleb for the entire flight, and held his hand, Caleb's face a dark red. Ruby grumbled, and closed her eyes, determined to not let this ruin her day.