The Man

My name is Clara Peterson. I live in Lexington, Kentucky. Everyday, on the way to school, we pass a man. He is always standing there, in a winter coat. Why is he standing there? I didn't know until a few days ago.

The day started out normally. I got up, and my dad was reading the newspaper. I glanced over his shoulder. The headline was titled, "5 missing person cases in Lexington." It listed the names of the five kids. I knew them all, because they lived near me. 7 year old Bailey, 9 year old Jackson, 8 year old Thomas, 6 year old Beth, and 11 year old Laura. I, myself, am 13 years old.

I decided to take a walk later that day. I went outside and walked along the sidewalk, in the general direction of my school. Suddenly a hand went over my mouth. I tried to scream and getaway, but was unsuccessful. A bag was shoved over my head, and something hit the back of my head. Everything went black.

.Time Skip....

I woke up in a dark room, tied to a chair, with a gag in my mouth. I am in some sort of cell, looks like the old abandoned prison. I start trying to scream and call for help. I try to get out of the chair, but I can't do either.

A little girl comes out of the darkness. I squint to see properly. It was Beth. She comes over and takes the gag off my mouth. Another girl, Laura, comes and unties me. "Beth, Laura! I found you guys. Now I can rescue you!" I look around. "Only, I don't know how I'm supposed to do that..."

The other kids come out, Bailey, Jackson, and Thomas. "Who put us here?" I ask.

"It was Mr. Morton, that creepy man who always stands outside in a coat," Jackson answers.

"Oh... So this is why he stands outside every day."

They all nod. Suddenly a hand grabs my shoulder roughly and spins me around. It's the man. He's scowling at me. "Don't you all know the rules? No screaming or talking, or something bad will happen to you!"

"I was just informing Clara of the rules, sir! Honest!"

"It doesn't matter! Did it matter to me when you first got here? You two, come with me!" He yells, grabbing me and Beth by the arm. He pulls us out of the cell, and down three levels. He puts Beth in a tiny cell right near the stairs. He leads me down the long dark hallway till we get to the end. "This is your cell for when you go down here!" He throws me in, gags me, and chains me to the wall.

I fall asleep. When I wake up, I find Mr. Morton in front of me. He roughly pulls out the gag and throws a piece of stale bread on the ground. "Eat!"

I quickly choke it down. He shoves the gag back, and leaves, after kicking me, hard, a few times. I curl into a ball, and fall asleep. I wake up with a searing pain in my side. I think he came back and kicked me some more while I was sleeping. I sit up, ignoring the pain. I stand up, there is enough room in my chains to move around a bit.

I walk around, until I trip. I look at what tripped me. It is a loose brick. I pull it out. Under it is a hole into the next cell, which is open. Whoever was imprisoned here last escaped, apparently. I use the rough edges of the brick to saw my chains. I craw through the hole and run into the hall. I find the keys and unlock Beth's cell. We run up the stairs.

Suddenly, I trip. I look up, right into the face of Mr. Morton. I gulp. "Where do you think you're going? You just made things a lot worse for you two!"

"Wait! It's not her fault! I escaped, and drug her with me!" I yell. He shoves Beth roughly back in the cell with the other kids. He grabs me and takes me to a new cell, 5 levels down. It is extra dark and dirty down here. There are a lot of rats and bugs. He starts kicking and punching me. He steps on me and jumps on me. He uses his belt to hit me, I'm sure I look horrible. He finally leaves. This time he doesn't put a gag or chains on me.

"Ow..." I moan and groan in pain. I hurt so bad. Maybe someone will rescue us soon, but I doubt it, considering this jail is miles from anything. I drift off to sleep in a ball, in pain. I'm thinking, "God, help me."

Author's Note:

I wrote this for a writing contest who's theme is fear. Hope you like it. The contest was for hannahsue--