Hunger Games contest Round 1

It was the year of the 70th Hunger Games, at the time of the reaping. Kiva went over her speech in her head as she tried to control her nervous breathing. It was her first year doing the reaping in her assigned district, district 11.

This was the job she had always wanted. To be one of the reapers and work with the tributes of one of the districts. The old district 11 reaper had retired, apparently, but she wasn't that old so it was a bit suspicious. People suspected that since she hadn't done well the year before, something else had happened to her.

Kiva was still really nervous, even though she had trained for the last year to do this. She had never been on a stage in front of this many people.

"Miss Kiva, it's time to begin!" The head district 11 peacekeeper said, bringing Kiva out of her nervous thoughts. Her hands shook as she walked up the stairs and out in front of the crowd.

"Welcome to the reaping of the 70th Hunger Games!" Kiva announced brightly as she strutted onto the stage.

"It is amazing to be here and see all of your smiling faces smiling up at me!" She said, smiling, even though none of them were smiling up at her. She wondered why they weren't. Was she not doing a good job? Or maybe it was her outfit...

Whatever the reason, she had to keep going. So Kiva continued, "Now, before we begin, I have a film to show to you. A film made all the way in the capital."

She pushed the button on the remote and played the video, almost mouthing the words seeing as she had seen it so many times.

After it was over, the faces in the audience were frowning and displaying looks of sadness even more than before. Did they not like the video?

"Let's get on with the reaping!" Kiva broke the silence while walking over to the jar holding the names of the girls. "Ladies first!"

She fished around in the jar for a moment, shuffling through it. Finally, she pulled out a slip of paper and walked back to the microphone, her heels clopping on the ground being the only sound heard.

She slowly opened the slip, to build suspense, before reading off, "Mira Vane."

Kiva raised her eyes from the paper to scan the audience, looking for the lucky female who would be competing in this year's games. "Mira Vane, where are you sweetheart?"

A young, petite-looking girl moved from the 12 year old section of the audience. She had silent tears streaming from her diamond blue eyes, and a look of fear etched on her face. She was visibly shaking with fear as she walked, eventually getting to her position standing beside Kiva.

The young girl seemed to be meeting eyes with a woman in the back of the audience. A woman who also had tears streaming down her face. A woman with the same color eyes as this girl. The woman who must be this girl's mother.

For a second, after seeing the tears and the look of fear, Kiva had a small shred of doubt in her mind. Was this the right thing? This child was so small and so young. Being able to stand next to her was letting Kiva see that. They had been taught this was the right thing...

The doubt left her mind after a moment. The Hunger Games were the right thing to do. This is what the districts get for starting the rebellion. The Hunger Games had also became more than that. It was a sport on television, and it was an honor for these kids to be chosen. She wasn't sure what the crying or the fear was for. "It is a true honor for them to be chosen," the capital had told her time and time again during training. "They will be forever famous and receive a tremendous funeral if they die. Their family will thank you for picking them."

"Now, for the males," Kiva said, walking over to the male jar. The doubt was completely gone, and it was like it wasn't there to begin with.

"Atlan Vane!" Kiva called out after shifting through the male container for a minute and pulling out a name.

The girl on stage began to son when the name was called, and it took Kiva a second to realize why. They both had the same last name of Vane. They were siblings. Oh, that would just make the Games even better this year!

From the 12 year old male section, a young boy, just as small and petite as his sister, began to walk towards the stage. He had the same diamond blue eyes as his sister and mother, and he was also shaking with fear and crying.

With a glance back at their mom, Kiva could see that she was crying even harder. She knew that her children were not going to be the next winners of the games. 12 year olds never won. She also knew that it was impossible for both to win, so one of them would definitely not be coming back.

The boy came on stage and stood, staring at his sister. "Give a round of applause for the tributes of the 70th Hunger Games! Mira Vane and Atlan Vane!" Kira announced happily. She looked down at the both of them. "You two are brother and sister, correct?"

The girl nodded, while the boy muttered, "Twins..."

"Great! This year will be truly exciting!" Kira responded to his statement. "Now, as tradition, you two shake hands!"

There was a short silence, where Mira and Atlan were just standing there, before they both acted. They both lunged towards each other, embracing each other in a tight hug.

Kiva shrugged, "That's not shaking hands but oh well."

"Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor!" Kiva said to the crowd before ushering the siblings inside the building.

They both took one glance back out, looking at their mother, Kiva was sure. She ushered them into a room together where they would say goodbye to whomever came.

Kiva waited while they did, and in her subconscious she wondered, did she do the right thing? Was this right? In the back of her mind, after seeing all the tears and the fear, she knew it wasn't. But the rest of her mind pushed that feeling away, never to be seen again.

"Are you, are you, coming to the tree."
StarWarsLover543