Chapter 1 - Red Velvet

It's been already one month since I've moved to Domino City in Japan and finally I'll be having my first day as a baristra. It might not be the highest paying job but it's the only thing I could find that wouldn't intervene with college.

As I walk out of my apartment, I grab my backpack and my keys.

It's half past eight and I have to be at the café at 9 am. It's a lovely little cafe called Red Velvet in the centre of Domino, surrounded by the endless stores and buildings. There is even a huge skyscraper just across the street. KaibaCorp as recall correctly.

As I get to the café a girl, who looks about my age is just about to open it. She has short brown hair and wearing what appears to be a uniform.

"Hey, I am the new barista, Ariana Knight. You work here too, right?", I ask as I closer to her.

"Yeah, hi, my name is Téa Gardner. Nice to meet you, Ariana", she responded, while holding out her hand, which I gladly shook.

"-and yes, I work here as a supervisor and barista as well. Come let's go in."

She hands me a red apron with a simplistic white rose on it and asks me to put my hair in a ponytail before continuing to give me a tour in the café. We sit down and she begins explaining what I will have to do and how I will have to do it. After that we discussed my working hours and payment.

"So now we will just be going through some formalities. These are just some questions to make sure that we have all the right information about you.", she explained, looking at me with her big brown eyes while smiling. I just nod and smile back.

"Ok, just introduce yourself and I will stop you if my infomation should be outdated."

"Well, my full name is Ariana Valentina Knight. I was born in Märchen, Germany. I am 20 years old. My birthday is on the 16th of August-"

"16th August? Mine is on the 18th!", she blurts out.
"Oh sorry, I totally interrupted you. Sorry, please continue."

"No, it's fine. And wow what a coincidence!"

"Yeah, right. Anyways, you moved to Domino just a few weeks ago right?"

"Yes, my last semester in Domino University of Foreign Studies is starting in 2 weeks. That's actually why I also needed the job."

We kept talking about our lives, Germany, Uni and so on. Time seemed to pass by fast because it was by now already 10 am, the official opening time of the Red Velvet. I really liked her and I had the feeling that we would become really good friends. It sure would be nice to have a friend and not to have to be alone all the time.

After our shift Téa asked if I would like to go out with her and her friends. Apparently I was right when I said that we would get along really good. It was ten past six when we headed off from the café. After a while we went to a game shop named Tame Game to meet her friends. She only told me that they are 'unique'. I just hope they are like her and not drama queens or anything like that.

As we arrive at the small shop we see three tall boys waiting infront of it. Are those her friends? One had dirty blonde hair, the boy next to him had brown hair and the third one had black hair. As soon as they noticed us they walked over to meet us half way. I could see that they are just as confused when they saw me as I am.

"Hey, Téa who is your cute friend?", the blond asked nodding in my direction and smirking.

"Joey, don't be so obnoxious infront of our new friend.", Téa lectures the boy who's name is Joey.

She goes on to tell "She is my new coworker and I thought it would be nice to invite a girl in our gang since you guys obviously can't behave like normal people."

"Calm down, Téa", Joey rolls his eyes at her and then comes up to me.

"Hey, I'm Joey, the second best duelist around here. What's your name, pretty?"

"Yeah, Joey, just go on and creep her out after not even one minute of knowing each other.", the black haired boy says, which made a giggle a bit.

"Anyways, I am Duke. Duke Devlin. Pleased to meet you-" suddenly Duke is pushed to the side by the third guy.

"You're just as creepy as Joey, Duke. I am Tristan. The only normal guy." , he claimed a bit conceited.

"Oh really? You guys are all creepy. It sure is pathetic to see you three fighting over her just because she is new. No offence, Ari." , Téa jumped in.

"None taken, Téa. Anyway, I am Ariana but you can call me Ari if you want to." , I quickly said before someone could interrupt.

As we were getting to know each other Joey puts his arm around me and asks "So how come we've never seen you around. You do look like someone of our age so it surprises me."

"Oh, that's because I've only been here for a month. I just moved here from Germany. "

"Which means that you probably didn't have a lot of friends until now that is. You are very welcome to hang out with us." Duke says while putting his arm around my shoulder.

"I'm done you guys, let go get something you eat!" A boy with tricolored hair says while walking out if the Game shop. That must be the remaining one of them.

He sees me and walks up to me, "Hey, I'm Yugi".

"Ariana or Ari, nice to meet you."

"She works at RV with me and I thought it would be nice to have a girl join our gang."

We start talking and they tell me their past stories. Something about a card game called Duel Monsters, Shadow Realms and a pharaoh. I have to admit that a lot of it sounded weird but who am I to judge.