Chapter 11 - 22

It's 10 am and I am still laying in bed. Usually I would be screwed because that would mean that I am incredibly late to work but not today. Kaiba texted me yesterday and let me know that I only need to be there after lunch time. He didn't say why but hey, I am not complaining.

I make myself an omelette with bacon and slowly start to get ready. I decide to make Kaiba coffee at home instead of going to Red Velvet. It probably won't taste as good since I only have instant coffee but I'm sure he'll like the gesture. I pour it into a thermos bottle and grab a packet of cookies which I had laying around.

At KaibaCorp I put my stuff down and walk over to his office. I gently knock however this time he doesn't answer. Maybe he isn't there. If the door is open I could put his coffee and the cookies on his desk as a surprise. I push the handle down and it opens. I peak in and to my surprise Kaiba is there. He is sitting with his back to the door, facing the window.

"What is it?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you. I just wanted to give you something."

He turns around and looks at the coffee and cookies I'm holding.

"Did Mokuba tell you to give me something?"

"No. I just thought I'd give this as a thank you for my first week. I made this coffee at home so it's probably not as good though."

He stands up and walks towards me. He takes the two things out of my hands and nods. I think that was his way of saying thank you.

"For your information. Mokuba can't come in today so you'll have to work on the event yourself for today. He gave me a short briefing and it seems like there isn't much left to do anyways. Just don't forget to send the invitations to the top shareholders out today."

"Yes, I'll send it to you first just to be sure. I also had a couple of questions I wanted to go over with Mokuba today. Shall I wait until monday or email him?"

"You can sort those out with me. I am available in the moment."

"I'll be right back then," I say and turn around to go to my desk.

I grab my clipboard with all the questions on them and go back to his office. He tells me to take a seat at his desk in front of him. I go over each question with him and write down everything he says. It may sound weird but Kaiba seems off today. It's like he isn't present at all. He answers all my questions extremely precise but it's as if I was talking to a computer. He isn't 'the 21-year-old Kaiba' but right now he is not even the 'CEO Kaiba'. Something is on his mind.

I can't ask him so I brush it off and continue with the questions. We finish them and I go back to my desk. I text Téa that I won't be riding with them today. She texts back that the gang is meeting at Duke's for a few drinks after work and asks me to join them. I text back that I will try to be there. However it depends on Kaiba. I can't just leave him when he obviously isn't feeling well.

8 pm comes around and I wait for Kaiba to be finish for today. It's friday and maybe he'd agree to joining me and the gang for drinks. I don't want to disturb him so I'll just wait here and do my tasks for monday already. A few minutes pass. 5 then 10 then 20 then 30 then an hour. By now it's already almost 10 pm. Maybe I should just check on him.

I knock and slowly open the door just to peak my head in. The lights are turned off. The only light coming from his computer screen.

"Hey, sorry to interrupt you but uhm when are you done?"

"I'll probably have to stay a couple more hours since I wasn't able to until after lunch time. Nonetheless, what are you still doing here? Aren't your friends picking you up?"