Chapter 6

Ruby's POV

I was relieved to see that the pets' playroom was just a luxuriously decorated lounge. Soft cushions and large pillows scattered across the room, with female and male pets relaxed and socializing.

There was a large buffet on the side that had my mouth watering on the variety of mini bites. The collection of vintage wine waiting to be tasted was just mind blowing.

What is this place and why did they treat their pets so...so nicely?

"Oh yes my dear, welcome to the world of the Mclark pets"

"Mclark?" I looked at Jessie confused.

"Ruby my dear, you are in the residence of the Mclark true bloodline"

"Oh"

"By the looks of it, I don't think you even know the full name of your own master"

Would it make a difference?

I don't know what has gotten into me lately, but I just needed to know more. I felt this huge responsibility weighing on my shoulders to just learn from around me, to absorb every single information I can get and assess accordingly.

But assess what and for what? Those where questions for later...

I just gave Jessie a shy look and shook my head.

She instantly grabbed my hand and dragged me to sit with her on one of the lush and soft large pillows. "Ow poor thing, you have so much to learn"

I guess I won't need Ana, not that I was confident she had all the answers in the first place.

"Let's start from the top. Do you know about the seven ranks?"

So the whole rank thing was up to seven. I guess master Lorcan is not the most powerful.

"No, but I know my master is the 5th rank"

"This is going to take longer than I thought, but first snacks!" Jessie then raised her hand and another pet was instantly planted next to her.

I think she must find this entertaining to an extent. Even as a spoiled pet, the days can become repetitively dull and boring.

After talking with the servant, Jessie fixed her gaze back on me.

"I hope you don't mind, I told him to get us a sample of everything."

"So what about the ranks?" I interjected to bring her back to the topic I was too eager to unravel.

"yes, So you know the world is full of several true bloodlines but interestingly only two have taken the seven spots or at least six of them. These families are the Mclarks and..." pointing a finger at me "the Brothorns"

Master Lorcan Brothorn...what an odd name

"What do you mean six out of the seven?"

"No one knows who the 2nd rank is, infact nobody is the 2nd rank" She said while munching on a tiny chocolate cupcake from the large assortment of treats now aligned on a tray next to us.

As if my instincts told me I can trust her and with no hesitation I shared what's on my mind. "Who is Queen Pauline?"

Her hand quickly shot up on my thigh and her eyes were vigilant. "What do you know?"

"Today at my residence, they were umm talking about her awakening"

Her grip on my thigh loosened. "Well Queen Pauline Mclark is the 3rd rank and every 300 years she is resurrected from her coffin to be well sort of challenged"

I had a feeling it would be better to keep the fact of her early awakening to myself.

Now that I think of it. Master Lorcan is probably here to inform the Mclarks of the so-called vision.

I cleared my head and brought myself back to the topic at hand. "Challenged?"

"Yes yes! Every true blood out there wants to beat her to claim the 2nd rank. You know, you kind of have to be stronger than the 3rd rank to claim the place of the 2nd rank right?"

Even with her cheerful spirit, that just didn't make any sense. Shouldn't one first pass through the lower ranks to be deemed worthy of combat with a 3rd rank?

"Do they beat the lower ranks and wait 300 years to challenge the Queen?" Finally, taking a bite from the mini strawberry tart Jessie has offered me fifteen minutes ago.

What followed was a short giggle and a genuine smile on her face. "You really don't know anything. Ruby the ranks are not just based on physical strength"

I was getting comfortable and almost rolled my eyes. "Then based on wha-"

"Ruby"

I knew who that voice belonged to and I instantly stood straight. Jessie on the other hand gave me an apologetic smile before slowly standing on her own two feet.

"It was nice meeting you Ruby"

Before I could say anything, master Lorcan's hand was on my shoulder and I was being guided to the way out.

I guess this conversation will remain on hold for a while...

The road back to our residence was nothing close to silent. Master Lorcan kept on asking me about how I spent my time with the Mclark pets and studying my replies.

I didn't exactly tell him everything. Maybe it was considered wrong to share information of what goes on in their house but I just needed to know more about the Queen.

My heart beat was becoming faster and I knew what I was doing was wrong.

"Ruby why are lying?"

Shit

"I'm sorry."

"And you're sorry because"

He seemed in a better mood than the last time I did something wrong.

"Because I'm not saying everything."

He shifted in his place and I felt his gaze on every inch of my body.

Why not continue that conversation now...

I took a deep deep breath and tried to calm down my racing heart.

"What makes a 5th rank a 5th rank...master"

---------------------------------------------------------

Hi lovelies! I hope the story is getting a little bit interesting step at a time. I didn't want to spill all of the facts in one chapter.

Btw I usually keep the minimum word count at 1000 words. I don't mind making it 2000 words per chapter. However, I don't know if someone would be interested in reading a chapter that long. I guess I will have to wait and see what the people like.

Stay tuned till next time ;)