Did I say he was alive?

Hi guys. Hope you're enjoying this. I gots votes!!! Only 2 but I won't sniff. Thanks xxx

Part 5

Gabriel couldn't breathe. Literally couldn't breathe, not through the gut wrenching pain and tears. Cas sat beside him holding him as together as anything would at this point. Every memory was on constant rerun the pain only enhancing them every time. It wasn't long before Cas had to put his brother to sleep.

Dean watched as Cas eased Gabriel to the ground before he made his way over. His own pain of watching his brother die marking his face, "Cas, Gabriel, will he... will he be okay?"

" his memories, his part of the bond. It all awakened when Sam was lost to us. But I guess you guessed that, what with his wail." Dean nodded looking at his feet. Cas took his hunter's hand and squeezed, trying to comfort him.

"Gabriel said something before... about Sam's soul turning black, what did he mean?" Cas sighed, he was hoping he hadn't been right. But if Gabriel had seen it even with his lack of memories.

"He... err... his soul when it becomes black... it err." He couldn't say it out loud. Out loud meant it was real and it didn't matter now any way, Sam wasn't coming back, "he would have become a demon."

Dean nodded, he kind of knew that, subconsciously anyway. They sat there cuddled in and taking solace in each other's company as others planned what happened next.

........:::..........

Sam sat up groggy and disorientated. How was he even, "hey sam."

Sam looked to the voice. Lucifer. Sam mentally shrugged, he'd actually been staying out of the way until they dragged him in. But he should be back in the bunker supplying grace. " Rowena sent me through you might need help. I left her enough grace to keep it open for another day or so."

Sam nodded. At this point Sam knew his souled self wouldn't believe Lucifer what with his actions being coloured by his past but soulless Sam could see that he actually genuinely wanted to help. Why else had he brought him back from the dead. He got to his feet and indicated that they should catch up to the others knowing that they thought him dead.

It took a lot of sneaking around but they made it out into broad daylight away from the nasty bloodsuckers. Mostly Lucifer kept quiet next to Sam relieving the taller man from attempting conversation. It didn't take long to stumble across the camp and into the eye line of everyone else.

Dean's ,who'd just woken, jaw dropped. Castiel smiled and Gabriel ran forward falling into Sam's chest. The hunter took him around the middle and hugged. He didn't really feel relief but his brain kept reminding him what he would feel with his soul and so proceeded to act like it. " you're alive, oh thank Dad, you're alive."

Sam smiled at the repeated words and looked to Dean. He held out Sam's soul it was the only thing left to make this picture whole. Nobody even cared that Satan was stood there watching. At least until Sam sealed his soul, took the time to snog Gabriel thoroughly and turn to say that lucifer had been the one to save him.

The reaction was mixed, much more even then he would of expected. Gabriel and Cas were overjoyed. Gabriel just hugged Lucifer while Cas was a much more understated smile and tilt of his head. Dean and Mary were livid all though a touch grateful. And Jack had no idea how to feel.

"I saw something in him when I was soulless. He means well Dean and if he ever fucks up again. I will deal with him, okay?" Dean nodded and now that he knew everything would settle he could delve deeper into having his soul back.

All the previous bond pain had vanished as soon as his soul was returned as it recognised having Gabriel back but the whole incident with Rowena was still in the back of his head. Even knowing what he did about Gabriel's memories it still hurt.

Lucifer and Jack started to talk and learn each other. Gabriel and Sam started to repair their bond by talking it through. Gabriel spent most of the talk apologising profusely. Now that he could remember he knew why he'd disappeared and explained it but he couldn't reconcile himself to it having been a good idea, given how it had ended. Sam had told Gabriel everything that had happened since he'd 'died', Gabriel didn't like it but he could see how strong his hunter was now. How he still depended on Dean but not in the same way he had.

After a couple hours respite they were back off again in an old school bus. Sam hadn't stopped smiling he couldn't help it. Things were getting back on track again. He had his life back. Even given his Gabriel trust issues deep down it still felt better then he'd felt in almost ten years.

Given how happy Sam was feeling he should have known shit was about to go south. Really he wasn't having the best of luck was he? They got there and most of the refugees through the rift before an in coming bright light told them they'd been discovered by Micheal. 'Oh shit'.

It was just Sam, Dean, Lucifer and Gabriel staring down the shiny shaft of an arch angel blade. Dean and Sam were next to the rift urging the other two to catch up but they didn't. Looking back with sad looks they stepped forward together, " Gabriel, no please, no!"

He looked back, "all I did on earth is run Sam, I'm not going to do that anymore. Go I can buy you enough time to close the portal!"

And between the two brothers they dove in. One extremely low on grace and the other picking up the angelic slack but Micheal, this Micheal was stronger more savvy then the one they were used too.

It was then that Dean was glad he'd grabbed Sam. Before they could even comprehend what was happening Gabriel was screaming and exploding and then he was falling Lucifer grabbed him as he fell and raced to the other two. They fell through the rift just as Rowena could no longer hold it open.

Everything becomes chaotic in seconds, Lucifer took his brother and walked away hiding his face as he did. Dean gripped Cas' hand his eyes never leaving Sam who was just led where he fell eyes dull and lifeless. The refugees who'd been spread out and roomed by now were slowly getting it filtered through until it hit Mary.

Before either boy knew it their mother was there, her arms holding Dean who was in shock for his brother and Sam who just slumped full weight against her. No tears fell, no noise was made and between the three of them they drag/walked him back to his room.

Cas knocked him out and stood with the other two wondering what they were gonna do now. It seems in the last while this was Sam's life. Pain and misery.

Lucifer popped his head in and told them what he'd done with Gabriel's body. Cas looked at his eldest remaining brother and tried to smile. Lucifer nodded knowing that nobody really wanted to smile at anyone or anything at this point. They were down a brother, Sam was back where he'd started 10 years ago and Dean and Cas were falling apart at the seams.

" go you two, I'll stand watch. Its the least I could do. You both need to reaffirm your own bond." Cas took Deans hand and shuffled them both down the corridor to Deans room. Lucifer took the opportunity to cry and apologise to the human in the bed. He couldn't hear him and he'd have to say a lot of it again but at least he could cry. He'd never meant any of this to happen. Ever.

The end.

Okay so we're basically all caught up with s13. From here it all changes from the series.