III

You mustn't play with murder, dear. It isn't civilized.

Lexi's stomach rumbled as a bowl of what appeared to be a crudely thrown together pasta salad when placed in front of her. Using the fork, she moved it around carefully before digging in. The hunger from days past had settled deep into her bones. She ate small bits of everything as she ignored the men and singular woman around her she didn't recognize.

This same scenario had been part of her training – a part her mother had very much disagreed with. The argument had been that no one would ever starve a woman, but her father knew better. Any person out there would starve a woman whose surname was strong enough and hers was. She was. Many of the training methods Lexi had gone through had been enough to ruin anyone physically, emotionally, and mentally.

Every day she thanked some sort of higher power that she had only been damaged emotionally.

"Well, it definitely smells better." Loud. Chaotic. Liquid gold.

Lexi looked up from her food. He was there, beside her, dark eyes roaring with a deserved flame. His fingers brushed the skin of her neck as he grabbed some of her curly strands to smell.

"Infinitely better. Can't have your father believing all we do is beat you and make you sit in a cellar."

"What are you doing with me?" she glowered.

Someone's throat cleared to the far side of her. His head snapped up with deliberation and clear intent. He was ready to strike whatever had dared to interrupt him from saying what he had wished. Her eyes never left his stature. So, she watched him drop her strand of hair and reach for the gun sitting in his waist band. As he brought it around and raised, she came to her feet and struck.

The gun skittered across the floor.

Lexi didn't know who she was protecting or why. All she knew was this was something she couldn't see again not so soon after violently striking a member of his cause.

A small feminine gasp filled the room.

Her hand was in his after the initial shock wore off and being held at an odd angle that was meant to break her wrist if she flinched or moved at all. This was something her personal trainer had done often, and she knew she could take a broken wrist. Lexi was not scared of pain.

"You're quite...inconsiderate." Disapproving. Cold. Fiery. "A shower, a change of clothes, and a meal, and this is the thanks I get?"

There were whispers behind her as the padding of feet softly rumbled. People were leaving. They were leaving her alone with this monster in front of her.

"You would have hurt—"

"But, I'm now hurting you. Which would have been better?"

His dark eyes ran wild with fiery anger. His cruelness being worn like a second skin; one she knew wouldn't be shed as though he were a snake. His fiery grip merciless and unyielding; therefore, she would not bow. His lips pursed but his nostrils flared. The anger within him had been riled once more.

"I will take the pain," she announced.

Lexi had no idea what she had submitted herself to in that moment, but she was pleased when she felt his grip loosen and him step back from her entirely. Observing him, she knew he was a domineering man – that is how he came to place in his kingdom. That is how he stayed where he sat on his throne of cruelty and anguish.

Theo and her father were not the men she ever wanted to be.

"Why did you take me?" Lexi asked. Her voice was soft in a way she hadn't expected.