XXIV

Give me guidance when it comes to the devil himself.

Jocelyn had left her some new clothes for the incoming cold weather. They weren't much different from what she had been wearing through the few months she had been here and they fit just as well. She had spent a while after eating a bigger breakfast trying all of the new items on, so now here she stood in the bathroom staring at herself in the mirror. The black jeans she wore were tight-fitting and hid away nicely in her heeled boots, but the knees of the jeans were blown out. The black long sleeve also fit her like a second skin and sat shorter than the average shirt so her midriff was showing.

In this all black get up, she couldn't help but think she looked a bit like Theo in his daily wear. Somehow it was amplified when she had her hair braided back, but she refused to let it hang loosely. That was just how she preferred to wear it.

"Lex?" A call out into the quiet of her room.

Lexi sighed and walked out of the bathroom. Jocelyn was looking around at the small mess the brunette had made while unboxing the clothing with a frown. Upon entering Jocelyn pointed at the mess accusingly.

"Really?" she mocked with a nasty frown before looking up. Her expression changed immediately as her mouth dropped open and eyes widened. "Oh, I'm totally fine with this."

"Is it okay?" Lexi asked with a frown.

Jocelyn laughed loudly for a second before looking comically on at her frown, "If I knew you swung my way, I'd leave Gordon if you asked me to right now."

Lexi merely rolled her eyes at the comment. The nature of Jocelyn's jokes had become less uncomfortable as the time had dragged on. This is how she complimented and Lexi had come to realize that on her own since she hadn't had friends like the redhead before.

"But, on a real note, we've been summonedto talk about the upcoming peace conference in Montreal," Jocelyn informed while rolling her eyes.

"When?" Lexi asked as she moved to the piles of clothing on the floor.

She was going to change before seeing anyone else. Her appearance was too much like Theo's and it would be too noticeable for everyone there. Lexi didn't really like making a fool of herself.

"You don't have time to do that. Let's go," her friend said while turning and walking out of the bedroom.

Lexi frowned and looked down at herself before following. There was a small vein of hope that no one would believe she was truly trying to look anything like Theo because that wasn't true. But, she also knew if she didn't walk in confidently then everyone would get away thinking whatever they wanted. They would anyways, but she needed to convince them somehow that she didn't truly care for what they might have to say. Besides, it's clothing that's supplied for her. She doesn't pick it out.

Finally, she rolled her eyes at herself. This was such an absurd waste of time to spend thinking about clothingof all things when she needed a clear head for this meeting.

"So I heard from a blonde birdy about your dinner with Theo," Jocelyn said quietly as they turned down another hallway.

Lexi could only sigh, "Yeah. I didn't think he'd be able to keep it quiet."

Jocelyn laughed quietly longer than expected before saying, "So?"

"So what?"

"Are you going to tell him?"

"Either I'm lost or you know me better than I do."

"Lex, c'mon. I know you're not good at talking about things, but I can tell that you at least care about Theo."