Chapter 3

Ezra was very chipper the next morning, his electric blue eyes wide with excitement. He, according to Sabine, was almost always excited for missions that brought them off-planet, since he had been on Lothal all of his life. Sabine herself was excited to get to use the droid-head that Katooni and Petro had brought with them, but she was more composed than Ezra.

The group that had been sent in the Phantom to meet up with codename '7567' contained Sabine, Ezra, Kanan, Zeb, and Petro. Hera and Chopper were staying on the main ship, the Ghost. Katooni was returning to their home ship, pressing a gentle kiss to Petro's forehead as he bent to readjust his boots. He smiled, pulling her up against his chest with a promise to return soon because there was no way in the galaxy he was going to stay away longer than two rotations.

Ezra had stared longingly at the exchange. The last time he saw that...

It was between his parents.

He tore his gaze away, suddenly subdued as he climbed up into the Phantom. Sabine was the only one in the ship, setting in coordinates and checking fuel levels, among other significant steps.

"Sabine?"

Ezra's voice was timid. That alone was enough to knock Sabine's concentration on her work, turning to see the blue-eyed padawan. His arms were crossed, hands gripping his elbows, shoulders slumped and his head down.

"Ezra? What's wrong?"

There had only been one other time the boy had acted that way. That time was when it was his birthday.

Sabine was pretty certain it wasn't his birthday.

Ezra shrugged and walked over to the front of the Phantom, leaning against the wall as he stared down to the control panel.

"Ezra?"

"Do you... do you ever miss your family?"

His voice was quiet. Sabine nodded, scooting over to the edge of the pilot's seat.

"Yeah. But I have you. Hera. Kanan. Zeb."

Ezra looked to her, a jolt of hope racing through him.

"I've got my family here," she continued, patting the space on the seat beside her. "That means we look out for each other." The padawan didn't move from the wall and she rolled her amber eyes.

"Sit, Ezra. I won't bite you."

His lips quirked in a smile for a moment before it was gone and he settled down in the chair with her. He hesitantly leaned into her shoulder, and Sabine smiled fondly, wrapping an arm around his waist.

"I've got you, kid."

I'm never letting go.

---

Wolfe watched the skyline. The day was hot but clear; the crew should be able to find them.

He turned to head back inside before thinking better of it. Rex wasn't exactly subdued anymore, not like he had been for the past decade, but now he was almost overbearing. Wolfe would stay out until he could tell the crew was arriving.

A speck of black entered the atmosphere, and he stared long and hard at it before turning around and opening the door. It was definitely a ship, but it didn't match the freight ship's description that he had been given previously. However, it also didn't look like any ship the Empire would use.

"Gregor! Get Rex; they're here."

---

"Sabine, do you know where- is that Ezra?"

Kanan's incredulous voice echoed through the Phantom, and Sabine turned to glare at him. The little padawan mumbled something incoherent, and it was then Kanan realized that Ezra was not exactly awake.

"He's sleeping?"

"Yes."

"On you?!"

"Yes." The barest hint of a blush began to creep onto her cheeks.

"Aw, are you going sof-"

"Shut your face or I break it."

Kanan raised his hands in surrender, a grin still on his face.

"Well, we need to set out soon. The hyperdrive is malfunctioning so Hera is staying behind with Chopper, and Zeb didn't want to be stuck in the Phantom with so many people."

Sabine nodded before pressing a few buttons on the consul.

"Do you want me to-"

"Don't touch him. He's fine where he is."

Kanan smirked, settling down in the back. Petro climbed up the ladder, entering the smaller ship.

"Alright, that's everyone. Let's go."

As the door closed, he became aware of the fact that the padawan's presence was significantly quieter compared to its usual vibrancy. He looked to the front of the ship where Ezra had to be because he wasn't in the back of the ship and he laughed.

"Well, I mean that's one way to finish a mission."

"What mission?"

Kanan's voice was defensive, almost as if he was waiting for Petro to admit he was an inquisitor instead of the light force-user he claimed to be.

"We were supposed to make sure Ezra didn't project so much because Ahsoka was able to sense him almost halfway across the galaxy. That's all."

The older man squinted a little before giving a terse nod and turning back to face the front of the Phantom.

It was almost time to meet the ally.