III. Kore

|| This chapter has been edited. ||

"Kore? Kore, wake up!"

I blinked my eyes groggily as my hand went up to block the light streaming from my window. "Mother? What's wrong?"

"You silly girl, you've slept in. I have to visit with Ares today. You'll be going with the nymphs to our meadow- now, hurry up child, and get ready!"

Mother bustled out of the room as I relaxed back into the bed with a groan. "Another day in the life," I whispered sarcastically before yanking myself from bed.

Thirty minutes later, my hair was braided elegantly down my back, spring flowers popping from the hair. I wore a green dress- my original one, red, was quickly rejected by Mother for having too low of a neckline.

Anywhere Mother goes, I have to follow. "Mother, can't I just stay here?" I pleaded as we walked to her waiting chariot.

She rolled her eyes. "We've discussed this, Kore. You are not staying alone now or anytime soon. Now, shape up, or you'll hurt your nymph friend's feelings."

I shook my head, biting back my response. Those nymphs weren't my friends, they were loyal subjects to Mother. Huge difference.

We arrived to the meadow- my second home, really. It was a protected space only gods and goddesses could enter- anyone else had to have Mother's permission. She was gone quickly, and the nymphs were obviously less than thrilled to have to babysit me again. "Should we play hide-and-seek?" One suggested, like I was still a child.

However, I enjoyed the game- I am a good hider, and it gave me time to myself. "Sure!" I responded with a fake smile. "I'll hide!"

As soon as my back was turned, the smile dropped. Counting filled the air as I quickly ventured into the forest, making my way as far as the boundaries Mother had would allow.

"I wonder if the Fates do refunds," I grumbled when I finally found a nice rock to sit on. "Playing hide-and-seek for a lifetime is a major disappointment."

I hummed to myself as I sat and played with the flowers around me, trying to see what I could make blossom.. when suddenly, a gleam caught my eye.

I turned towards the light, my face scrunching in confusion. There was nothing natural in the forest that would make the light glare like that except for water or an unearthed gem, and the nearest lake was half a day's journey away. I stood, and began walking down the meadow's edge of the forest, where, technically speaking, I was strictly forbidden to go.

There, a few rows of trees back, the source of the gleam caught my eye. I hesitantly bent down, and picked up a sparkling sapphire. "Beautiful.." I mumbled to myself as I turned the stone in my hand. I had never seen one this size before, much less been able to hold such a pretty thing.

It had a foreign beauty in the forest- it was cold, harsh, and something so starkly different from the meadow around me. I paused as a twig snapped behind me, my body freezing up.

It was foreign because it didn't belong here, just like the stranger behind me.

I turned sharply, my pale green dress twirling gracefully around me as my eyes met another pair with a start. A tall, muscular man with long blonde hair, pale skin, and piercing blue eyes was staring back. He wore black armor, but no crown or emblem in site.

My heart pounded. Who was this?

A long silence stretched between us before I finally pulled myself from a trance. My cheeks flushed red as I realized I had been staring,  a small smile turning my lips up. "Hello," I greeted quietly.