XVII. Mother Knows Best.

- Kore -

Hermes gently landed, giving me a quick hug as he did so. Familial relationships were odd at best on Olympus, but Hermes played the role of uncle well. "Kore.." He started awkwardly. "Did Hades..did he...?"

Realization dawned as I caught on to his concern. My cheeks turned red, and I quickly shook my head. "He didn't touch me, Hermes. I just..I was stupid, I guess."

Hermes studied me for a long moment before sighing, turning his attention to the marble building before us. "She's inside. You better head in- it's been a hard night, I'm sure."

I nodded blankly, turning and walking up the stairs as an unfamiliar and overwhelming emotion filled me. Not shame, not guilt...is this what heartbreak feels like?

I stepped inside the building, trying to catch my breath and restrain myself when I heard footsteps. I looked up to see my mother, the confusion on her face turning into sadness as she took in my tear stained face and sopping appearance.

My lower lip quivered. "I'm so sorry, Mother." I choked out. She held her arms out to me, and I flew into them as sobs tore from my throat. "You were right all along," I sobbed, my arms holding onto her like she was a life preserver in the sea. "You were right.."

She held me tight, one hand rubbing my back as she kissed the top of my head. "It's all right, my flower. Mother's here.."

***

Song birds woke me instead of the ocean wake. I slowly sat up, my head throbbing, my face feeling stiff from tears. I stared out the window, feeling numb. I felt like I was in a daze. My mind couldn't reconcile the sweet, endearing Hades that visited me and the condemning man by the river.

Freedom no longer tasted sweet. Every time I started to miss that island or what I had seen in the Underworld, I heard Hades telling me how childish and stupid I was. My eyes started to well with tears again.

I had never understood why the gods and goddesses were so dramatic in their heartbreak. Wars were started, mountains broken to pieces, disasters and calamities reigned when they lost a lover, or when they were scorned.

Suddenly, I understood. It was either destroy something, or let the pain destroy you. I chuckled grimly. "But you are not a destroyer, Kore. You're a child, a flower.." I looked down at my hands for a long moment. "You are nothing but a game for other people."

A soft knock pulled me from my thoughts. I turned to see my mother standing at the door, a look of heartbreak on her face as well. "My sweet flower," she started, coming to sit next to me on the bed. "Do you want to talk about it?" She asked gently, brushing my hair behind my ear.

I shook my head, my cheeks tinging as I looked away from her and back out the window. "It doesn't matter anymore," I responded grimly.

I could feel her eyes on me. "You've changed in your short time on the island," she remarked. I turned to look at her with a  questioning look. "You've matured," She clarified.

I shrugged. "I was allowed to make whatever decisions I wanted. Consequences age a person, I suppose."

She remained silent, but she pursed her lips as she brushed my hair back. "Well," she quipped with a fake smile. "Today is a new day, and you are a new you. I want to talk to you about the contest."

I cringed. The dratted contest. In my rush to get away from Hades, I had forgotten about it. "I know you're against it, but I don't know how we'll be able to stop it now that I'm back."

"Oh, I don't want to stop it at all..I just want to ensure my pick wins."

I whirled. "Your pick??" I repeated incredulously.

Mother smiled. "Yes. Have you met Apollo, my dear? He is coming to pay you a visit today."

"Mother, you can't be serious!" I argued back, folding my arms.

"I know it's not ideal," she tried to reassure. "But Apollo and I see eye-to-eye..and I think you should give him a chance. He is very sweet, and he is rather taken with you," She added with a wink.

I grimaced. "I'm not really interested in that sort of thing anymore, Mother.."

She raised an eyebrow, and quickly stood. "Well, my flower, you had better get interested, because if you are not interested in Apollo, you'll have to be interested in whoever wins your father's abominable contest." She gave me a sharp look. "Get ready, dear. He'll be here soon." With that, she left the room.

I sighed, slowly standing and going to the mirror. "Mother's right," I told my reflection. "There's no getting out of this now."

I looked terrible. Honest-to-goodness terrible. My eyes seemed empty, my skin had an ashy tone to it, and my hair resembled a rat's nest. I sighed, turning to flop on my bed as I tried to soothe my heartbroken heart.