VI. Warning Shot

- Kore -

The morning sun broke over the mountain of Hagneia, casting gentle rays down to the little house below. As the sky turned pink and light, my eyes slowly opened, my body aching from the odd position I had slept in. Realizing where I was, I stiffened, suddenly quite awake.

Oh.

We had fallen asleep there on the veranda, My heart thudded as I felt Hades' arms around me, the morning chill a sharp contrast to his warm skin. A quick glance told me that Hades, was still asleep.

My cheeks turned scarlet as I realized that I had somehow ended up on the man's lap. I had never even hugged a man besides my father before now- how did I get into this situation??

"Okay," I told myself as I gently tried to ease off and down, cringing with each moment. "Slow and easy.."

I started to sit up, trying to move slowly as to not wake the god when his arms suddenly tightened, bringing me tightly to his chest as I have a loud squeak.

"Five more minutes," he breathed into my now wild hair, his morning voice gravely and sleepy.

By Mount Olympus, this man would be the death of me. Butterflies were long gone- this was more like a thunder bolt.

The butterflies in my stomach were manic as I tried and failed to relax, my cheeks flushed.

"Why did I feel this way about this man? How could I feel so comfortable, and at the same time feel so shy?"

The questions in my mind went unanswered, as usual.

After a moment, Hades' arms relaxed, and this time I was able to step lightly away. I turned and studied the man curiously. His hair was white, falling to his shoulders, his skin pale and clear. Sleeping, he had a relaxed look on his face, and this was the first time I had seen him without his usual armor. He wore a simple robe, the black color a deep contrast against his skin. His arms were clearly defined and strong, but he didn't have the overbearing physique of Zeus or Ares.

Yummy.

He was handsome. Dangerously handsome. For once, I was grateful his piercing aquamarine eyes were not open to give me that piercing gaze, because I was sure he'd see how infatuated I was otherwise.

How embarrassing!

I have a quiet groan, quickly turning and running up the marble stairs to my bedroom.

"Where things moving to quickly?" I asked myself anxiously.

It was the way of the gods to fall quickly and dramatically into love, and to fall as quickly out of it again. Mother had warned me of how men thought and what they wanted to gain- was Hades the same way?

I looked myself in the mirror, seeing a nervous and scared girl staring back at me. I was a complete fool. Freedom was wonderful, and Hades was even nicer, but I had no idea what I was doing!

Yes, I loved our long conversations and the way he treated me as his equal..but was it all for show?

"He doesn't treat me like an object or prize to be won...but in all honesty, I hardly know him," I whispered to my reflection, biting my lip as I tried to smooth out the now wrinkled purple dress. "What if he is just using me?"

I stepped into the bathroom with a tired. I was a mess. I touched my skin, my eyes flickering to the out of control hair, the crumpled dress.

"If Mother could see me now," I chuckled bitterly before the full ramifications of the scene hit me.

"Merciful heavens," I whispered furiously, the realization of how I looked with Hades only feet away sending me into a panic. Hurriedly, I scrubbed my skin quickly, dabbing on the rose oil recklessly, the purple dress quickly stripped and abandoned on the floor.