XIV. The Agreement

- Hades -

I  whistled as I walked through the gate to the Underworld, my steps more lively than they had been in a millennium.

Honestly, I was also in some shock. To the rest of the Gods, Kore was this delicate, beautiful flower that embodies all things innocent and sweet.

She was that, certainly, but I couldn't get the image of the regal queen I had seen today. She was different from when she first came, which I  suspected was the lack of Demeter's control in her life. Kore was more than just a little flower girl- she was destruction and death embodied into something royal.

Kore is my every dream, and she kissed me back. I rolled my eyes at how giddy I felt- I felt like a teenage boy. I stopped myself from doing a victory dance in the castle's hallway, but only barely managed to do it.

"Kore kissed me," I thought in disbelief. "She saw the Underworld..and still kissed me!"

Nothing could bring my mood down from the clouds. You know, except for the three dark and gloomy Fates waiting in the throne room.

Hecate rushes towards me, trying to explain as he entered the room. "They insisted on speaking to you at once, my lord, and wouldn't wait another-"

"Hades, King of the Underworld." Atrophos greeted, stepping forward. "We need to talk."

"What's happened?" I asked, a sense of panic tinging his mood. "Whatever has brought you from your tower must be important."

Clothes sighed, and turned to her right. The three sisters combined powers to create what mortals would call a looking glass- a bubble that played events for the three.

I slowly sat in his throne as the scene became larger than life, Demeter's voice thundering as though he were in the room herself.

"Apollo!" The goddess's voice crashed. "I will have you thrown from the top of Olympus if you dare take another step towards Hegnai."

Apollo turned, his signature smile gracing his face as he bowed. "Dear Aunt, I wouldn't dream of going there without permission. I was actually coming to visit you."

Demeter stood on her marble steps, draped in black- mourning the oncoming loss of her daughter. Her face was pinched- the Goddess spent much time crying and fighting Zeus.

"Me?" She repeated bitterly. "Do you think I'm a fool, Apollo? Kore is not here anymore- be off before I lose my temper."

Apollo sighed, taking another step up the stairs. "Oh, Demeter. I am so sorry for what's happened."

Demeter paused in surprise. "Excuse me?"

Apollo out a hand to his heart. "I love beautiful and precious things, Demeter, and I hate to seen them torn apart. I can only imagine what your heart is feeling for your daughter, practically being sold to the highest bidder."

Demeter's face stayed hard, but inwardly she was reeling. This wasn't what she expected from Apollo.

The god held his hand behind his back, a bottle of Ambrosia appearing in it. He presented it to Demeter with a sympathetic look. "Why don't we go inside and talk? I'd like to hear more about Kore. I hear she took a vow of eternal chastity- what an amazing event that must've been!"

Apollo's schemes worked. Demeter's shoulders slumped, a small smile appearing on her face. "Yes..it was a magnificent day." She turned, walking back into her home, Apollo following behind.

Clothe's face grimaced as she waved her hand, another scene appearing- a drunken Demeter and a scheming Apollo sat around a marble table.

"Oh, Apollo, you're the only one who seems to understand how demented this all is," Demeter sobbed. "My precious girl will be given to some brute who will ruin her. I have failed her as a mother!"

Apollo patted the woman's back, his face full of sympathy. But now was his chance. "Demeter..what if we worked together?"

The woman glanced up, confusion written on her face. "Worked..together?"

"Yes," Apollo replied. "Together. Kore must participate in the contest, Zeus has made that clear. But Demeter, if I were to win, I-"

"You would enter the contest??" Demeter sat up straight, suddenly sober and angry. "After all you have heard, you'll still-"

"Please, hear me out, my dear aunt." Apollo looked at her pleadingly before continuing. "Yes, I would enter the contest. But think, Demeter- if I win, she would be safe. I would ensure that she spends as much of her time with you, that her virtue as a wife is her new pride. As her husband, I'd cherish her for the innocent flower she is. I'd stay faithful to her, treat her like the Queen she is..surely, this is your best option, isn't it?"

Demeter studied Apollo for a long time before nodding her head. "I suppose you're right..."

The scene faded, the Fates turning to face me once more. "Demeter has gone to Zeus and pushed up the date of the competition," O informed the king with a frown. "She and Apollo are scheming to ensure that he wins- and that Kore is willing to go with him. Demeter will be here any moment to talk to her about it."

"You mean to brainwash her further?!" I slammed my clenched fists on my throne, standing up with rage pouring from me. That scene had been too much, and I felt ready to slaughter that arrogant god. "How dare he continue to play Kore! You and I both know that none of this promises held any truth to them. Apollo will be the death of Kore- I will not allow it." I seethed, images of Apollo's death flickering through his brain.

"Calm yourself, God of the Underworld," Atrophos reprimanded. "If needs be, we will intervene. But our father is no fool- he knows that this contest will give him leverage beyond anything else. Apollo only has to convince Zeus that he should be the winner, and the competition will be fixed in his favor."

My heart dropped. Was Kore out of his reach? The panic started to rise, anxiety over losing the one thing truly precious to me taking over.

"Hades," Clothe stepped forward, her voice soft. "Hades, take a deep breath. Kore is not going anywhere- we know her love is true. You two will be together. Any other end spells destruction for Olympus."

I took a deep breath, trying to let the reassurances of the Fates ease his worry. "It will be hard though, won't it?" I grumbled.

The Fates all nodded. "Difficult is perhaps to easy of a word. You gave up your fight with Zeus once- you cannot do it again. This time, you must come out as victor. Best of luck, God of the Underworld..."

Their voices faded as their bodies disappeared into the black smoke, and as quickly as they came, the Fates left, leaving a bewildered and overwhelmed god behind.

****

Zeus stood on his balcony, overlooking his kingdom. "Hera," he called out, not glancing at the woman behind him. "Call for Hermes. The competition will start in three days- whether Demeter likes it or not."

Hera sighed, but said nothing. She had tried to show Zeus that, yet again, he was making a huge mistake. He had only just allowed her back into their palace, despite her raging and cursing. "Fine," she replied, turning away to find the god. But another goal was in her mind- Aphrodite.

Aphrodite and Hera didn't always see eye-to-eye, but this was important. If anyone could help Kore, the Goddess of Love could. This contest was spiraling out of control, and Hera worried that the poor Goddess of Spring would be left broken in its wake.

Zeus stared out over the city of gods, the wheels in his mind turning. He had lost enough to Hades, his insolate little brother. His lips pulled up into a sneer- and now he planned to take away Kore, hm?

Hades was the one god Zeus would not allow happiness willingly- and he would certainly never allow another daughter to fall into his snare. But what to do?

An idea zapped into his mind, and the sneer on his face turned into a grin. Kore was his favorite daughter, so sacrificing one already tainted wouldn't be so bad, would it?

"Hera?"

The woman paused midway down the stairs, her eyes flickering back to the man. "Yes?"

"Send word to Clarey. I want to speak with her."