Chapter Twenty-five - Natalie explains herself.

Nick wanted to turn over, but pain forbade it. He groaned. Where was he? His body was restrained, tangled up in strange cords. He needed to escape, but again the pain said no.

His body felt weak, his throat abnormally dry, and his vision was blurry. He closed and opened his eyes methodically to try to bring them into focus, but he couldn't see any clearer. Where the hell was he?

"Nick, it's okay." The face that hovered over him looked like a muted interpretation of Melissa's. Attempting to speak, his voice came out in a harsh, painful whisper.

"Get him some water!" Melissa's voice.

The image of her face resolved. "You're safe. Just relax."

"What . . ." The parched word crawled out of his mouth.

A faucet was turned on and water gushed. It sounded abnormally loud. Soon after, Victoria hurried into the room with a full glass. It sloshed over the sides as she hurried toward him.

"Here." Victoria thrust the glass toward Melissa.

She brought it slowly to his lips with one hand as she used the other to lift his neck. He felt so feeble and was surprised how much he needed her help. He still hadn't figured out where he was or what was going on. He took a couple sips of water and rested, then took a few more. He tried to pull more oxygen into his lungs. With each breath, his vision and memory clarified.

Melissa looked different. There was something about her that was not as he remembered her. What had happenedThink harder. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. She was beautiful. She was always beautiful, but she definitely had changed in some way. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Slow exhale. There was something in her eyes that had never been there before. What was it?

"I love you, Nick." She had never said those words. He tried to smile, but his lips were too dry and they cracked. He tasted blood on his tongue. "I love you too, baby."

She leaned down and kissed him. The warmth and wetness of her kiss banished his discomfort making him wish he could be alone with her, someplace else. Home. Anywhere. Not here. 

Where was here?

"You're probably wondering where you are."

He nodded, trying to straighten up a little.

Melissa looked at him sternly. "I'll tell you, but you need to promise to be a good patient and lie still."

"Yes, nurse." He tried to grin.

Melissa smiled, but her eyes glistened with tears."Still irrepressible."

"Always. Can I have a little more water please, nurse?"

She lifted the glass off the table beside him and brought it to his lips.

"Only give him a little bit at a time, or he won't keep it down," Sonya warned as she walked into the room and positioned herself at Nick's side. "I'm going to have to have some time alone with my patient," she said to Melissa and Victoria. "I will let you know when I'm done."

"Can't I just stay in the room?" Melissa asked. "I'll sit over there." She pointed to a chair in the corner.

Sonya agreed but shooed Victoria out.

Nick sighed. He was sore everywhere. As the nurse ran various tests on him and Melissa watched, Nick relived the night in his garage.

When he'd returned from the gym that night, Natalie was waiting for him in the garage. He'd had no time to react. Her eyes were seas of guilt as she said, "I'm sorry," and shot him with something that paralyzed his body and knocked him unconscious. His injuries must have been inflicted after that.