5

Altoria was different than Ariadne had been led to believe

Altoria was different than Ariadne had been led to believe. Instead of dark, jagged angles, it was all bright lights and open spaces. The buildings in Altoria were a harmonious blend of trees and stone. A miracle of Fae magic, no doubt.

"Ari, what's on your mind?"

Ariadne jumped slightly as Kallen's velvet voice interrupted her thoughts. Her hand drifted to her necklace absent mindedly. She thumbed it over the top of her jumper.

"Why me," she looked sideways at Kallen.

He walked beside her with purpose, his shoulders tight and his gait was smooth, lythe even. Almost like a prowling wildcat. There was something otherworldly about him, not just because he was Fae. Ariadne looked at him again. Yes, definitely otherworldly, vaguely threatening, but handsome all the same.

Kallen seemed to be gripped by thought as he paused before he spoke again.

"Why ever not?" he smirked.

His lips quirked upwards and he fiddled with the iron cuff links at his wrists. Ariadne noticed he didn't answer her question. So she asked a different one.

"I thought Iron hurt Faeries?"

"There's lots of things human myths get wrong..." he sighed, somewhat bored.

"Vampires?"

"Don't exist," Kallen shrugged.

"Silver bullets?" Ariadne pushed.

"God's no!" He chuckled, amused.

"Why the Iron cufflinks?" Ariadne ambushed him and circled back the question bothering her the most. The rest could wait for later.

"Because it's the only metal Fae can touch," Kallen grew silent as if he'd said too much.

Ariadne supposed he had. Fine. A game of wit, then.

"Dancing under the full moon?"

"Yes, but only on special days."

"Painful to eat food from the faerie realm?"

"No, unless there's malicious intent by whoever served or made the meal, so be careful... Very careful, please?" Kallen's voice turned soft, vulnerable.

"Why me?" Ariadne paused while walking and looked at him.

She had asked him again, the question wasn't born from sheer curiosity like the others; she genuinely wanted to know why. Ariadne was confused.

"Because the Sky courts king and daughter is missing, and I think you're the only person who can find them both," he hesitated, then stopped.

There was more he wanted to tell her, Ariadne was sure of it. As sure as she was that tomorrow would come.