11

Ariadne talked with Iyrena until the sky turned orange and the glass painted the plants with a purple, pre dusk colour

Ariadne talked with Iyrena until the sky turned orange and the glass painted the plants with a purple, pre dusk colour. They had a lot to catch up on, and for once Ariadne was not afraid of what her future held.

It could have been the wine Iyrena kept pouring for her, but Ariadne believed it was the company she kept for those hours in between the end of the day and the start of night. Her smile was the biggest she'd ever experienced, her cheeks hurt, and her eyes probably had that sparkle in them; that her mother had said she'd missed. It had dimmed sometime after her father had left, she'd heard her mother whisper to her one night, when she thought Ariadne had been asleep.

Her thoughts turned to her mother.

"What are you thinking, your mood changed?" Iyrena asked, sitting forward in her chair.

Her finger traced lazy patterns on the table. Wherever her finger went, gold trails of glitter followed. Ariadne's eyes followed them.

Iyrena was comfortable with her magic, whereas Ariadne shunned it. She didn't dislike it, she just saw it as unnecessary, unless in a dire situation. She supposed this could have been the direst of them all. She took a breath and asked the one question that had haunted her since, well forever.

"Why didn't mother tell me?"

"She did not know, I think," Iyrena trailed another golden vine across the table. It briefly lit up before disappearing.

"Then why not father?"

"Ariadne, you have to understand what father did, he did to protect us all. There are people who want to see the fall of the Sky Court complete," Iyrena refused to look at Ariadne.

Her throat bobbed slightly.

Ariadne stretched out her hand and gently clasped her sisters.

"Father trapped you here! I spent all my life believing I was the only child. How could you think what he did, what he took and hid from mother and me, was OK?"

"I refuse to believe that his motives were anything but good, because to think otherwise is to tear our family apart. It will create an unrepairable rift in the Court," Iyrena swallowed.

"That's crap, and you know it, otherwise you wouldn't be holed up in a damned glass house," Ariadne stood up, angry.

"Father did not trap me here," Iyrena said quietly.

Ariadne paused her pacing. She turned sharply to face Iyrena.
"Then who?"

"Mother did."

"No... Mother wouldn't do that," Ariadne shook her head fiercely.

"Describe mother, please?" Iyrena said softly.

"Well.. Mum is half Fae." Ariadne started.

Iyrena frowned.
"No, mother is High Fae, she's queen of the Moon Fae."