30

Lena pointed at the mirror, and Ariadne followed the movement of her fingers as she drew strange runes in the air, across the length of the mirror

Lena pointed at the mirror, and Ariadne followed the movement of her fingers as she drew strange runes in the air, across the length of the mirror. They crossed over each other, forming an X, and the surface stopped wavering.

"What did you just do?" Ariadne asked warily.

"I made sure for the duration of your first lesson, that no one could use this mirror as a portal into Altoria, the mirror realm like the others is a two way travelling system." Lena replied.

"You mean people can visit there, but that others from that realm, might also be able to travel, here?" Ariadne shuddered.

"Yes, the veil just acts as a barrier, travellers," Lena pointed at herself, then at Ariadne "cast a door in the veil, or use any mirror blessed by magic." She finished.

Ariadne nodded. Everything was backwards to her, she had spent all of her life living like a human, only to be forced back into a world full of consequences if she used her magic. Of course she was wary of it all.

"Those runes you drew across the mirror... Will I have to learn to make them?"

"Yes, but one step at a time. Kallen does not know of our bargain, and I would hate to see he found out because you died," Lena walked over to a low table and poured a glass of wine from a crystal decanter.

Ariadne sputtered and coughed.
"I could die?"

"Do not be so naive, death is a mercy compared to what being trapped in the mirror realm is like," Lena drank the whole glass in one go.

Ariadne paced the room slowly, taking in everything, before she settled on a low chair near the mirror. A small table had been moved between the space next to the hanging mirror, the dirt tracks were evident across the otherwise immaculate floor. The tome sat in the middle, while an empty glass of water sat on a tray, a small bowl of fresh fruits next to it.

Ariadne picked up a ripe, rosy apple and took a bite out of it. It had a slight sour tang to it, but they quickly gave way to sweet, refreshing apple juices. It dripped over her fingers and down her chin. Lena pulled a napkin from a small pile and handed Ariadne one.

"Thanks."

Lena snapped her fingers, and a matching chair appeared on the other side of the table. Lena gracefully sank into it, crossing her legs. Her gown, if you could call it that, split at the top of her legs and revealed long legs, and rich brown skin. The tattoos that wound up her arms also wrapped around a leg. They probably connected all the way down her ribs, without a single break.

Ariadne caught herself, and took another bite of her apple. Awkward silence filled the spacious room, as Lena's breathing filled the gaps in conversation.

Lena closed her eyes, and placed her hands, palms up on her knees.

Ariadne continued to bite around the core of her fat apple. Lena's breathing slowed, and for a moment, Ariadne thought she stopped breathing. Ariadne panicked, and put down her apple. She rose from her chair, ready to shake Lena's slender shoulders.