6

Ariadne's heart beat fast in her chest

Ariadne's heart beat fast in her chest. The beat gave her fear a rhythm of its own to dance along to. Her palms became sweaty, and her eyelids fluttered. Everything around her turned blurry, as figures became blocks of soft shapes, and sound became muffled.

A pink toned blob waved in front of her face, then everything went black.

It had been Kendra's hand.

"A..."
"Ar..."

"ARI WAKE UP," Kendra shouted.

Her hand connected with the side of Ariadne's face, not hard enough to bruise, but hard enough to bring her round. Ariadne's eyes opened as she gasped and rolled off the single bed.

"Mmmnfff," Ariadne grumbled.

Kendra came around the bed and pushed her arms under Ariadne's, pulling her up gently. Her hand swept back her loose hair, it had been untied when she had passed out, and looked into Ariadne's eyes. They were not the Hazel she had seen before. These eyes were a golden shade of amber, ringed with gold. Kendra let go of her, and she watched as Ariadne fell backwards onto the bed.

"Shit! Shit! Shit!" She ran to the squat bedside table and picked up the ring she had taken off as well.

Kendra hastily grabbed Ariadne's limp hand and slid the ring down her finger. She watched as a wave of translucent air shimmered over Ariadne, her hair dimmed back down to the lack lustre copper, instead of the outrageous shade of red it had been moments before. Ariadne's skin lost its shine and returned to the more respectable white blushed with pink considered normal for a pale human. Her cheekbones filled out a little and her chin became less feline. Her eyes were the last thing to change as Kendra impatiently tapped her foot. They seemed reluctant to go back to the chocolate hazelnut shade that Kendra seemed to like so much.

At last, they settled and Kendra stared a little while, before she gently shook Ariadne awake.

"Ariadne, please wake up," Kendra pleaded softly.

"The king is coming," Kendra whispered in her ear.

Ariadne slowly opened her eyes, and rubbed them quickly. Her eyes felt like sandpaper. How long had she been unconscious for. She looked down at her hands and sighed in relief as she recognised the light shimmering wave of her glamour hovering over her skin.

"Does he know?" Ariadne asked.

"No," Kendra sighed.
"Thank the God's."

Araidne stood up as the sound of light, decisive footsteps hit the cobblestone floor. Kendra swept round the room and tidied small bowls of salts, dirty gauze and various instruments.
"Better not mention anything," Kendra murmered.

Ariadne nodded slightly.
"Alright."

King Kallen waltzed around the small wooden screen.
"How's the patient?" He drawled.