18

"What do you want?"

"What do you want?"

Ariadne watched Kallen and waited. He leaned against the bed post, inspecting his nails casually. After a long moment, he pushed off the bed and walked to the cage that now held Apollo.

"Such a pretty songbird, it is a shame it lives in a cage," he drawled.

Ariadne bristled at his words and snuck behind him, edging towards her desk and where the letter opener glinted under the desk.

"If it was safe for it to roam, it wouldn't need to live in one," she retorted.

Ariadne quickly and quietly bent down to pick up the slim instrument. When it was firmly in her hand, she sat down on the chair and brushed her loose hair over her shoulder.

"Cats hunt what they will, it is the natural law of the world," Kallen ran a finger along the golden rails of the cage.

Apollo puffed up his little chest and angrily chirped at Kallen. Kallen tutted at the bird and turned to face Ariadne. His eyes narrowed slightly before a his lips broke into a devilish smile. Ariadne's hand gripped the sliver of silver tighter. Her skin began to itch.

Kallen walked towards her, and she stood up, placing the chair between them.

"Birds can be predators too," Ariadne warned.

"Come now, let us not be coy with our words," he took a step closer.

Ariadne wriggled a bit of her sleeve down over her hand, and gripped the letter opener, the fabric creating a barrier between her skin and the poisonous silver. She brandished the stiletto type blade at him and he laughed.

He laughed at her.

Ariadne cocked back a hand and hoped for the best, she let it fly and silver streaked through the air. End over end.

Until it stopped.

Trapped halfway between them in a vacuum of air.

Kallen's hand was up by his side, palm up, and his fingers were curled like he gripped the circular vacuum. It had formed a clear, wavering ball. He snapped his fingers as the ball coalesced into orange flame. The flames burned orange, then bright blue. Silver melted and hit the floor, where it pooled in a perfect circle, Kallen stepped around it.

Ariadne backed towards the windows, where her hands met solid stone. She had nowhere else to go. Kallen didn't stop in his approach.

He got closer.

Closer, still.

Then stopped just an arms length away from her. Ariadne glared at him.

"If you put an animal in a cage, you better be aware it's going to fight back at some point," her words bit into the air.

Kallen smiled.

"Speak plainly Ari, as much I enjoy our word games, I grow tired of them."

"Fine! You want plain words, you'll get them. YOU PUT ME IN A CAGE!!!" Ariadne yelled.