Chapter 1: The Loner

Meanwhile...

"So what did you say this game was called?" Mothra asked, resting on her arms as she leaned on the back of the couch Godzilla and Anguirus were sitting on.
"It's called Bubble Bobble. It was really big back in the 80's." Anguirus explained as he mashed the buttons on his controller.
It had been a few months since their trip to Jurassic World. All the residents of Monster Island wanted to do now was relax. Luckily, this was easy thanks to the money they had all received from the Jurassic World staff. As thanks for helping them stop an uprising of genetically modified monsters, they were each given a million American dollars. Each of them had used their money for something special. For Godzilla and Mothra, this meant completely renovating their tent. It was nearly unrecognizable now, and while it still resembled an ordinary tent from the outside, it was still massive on the inside. It looked more like an apartment or house than a tent now. But for Anguirus, his new fortune meant the purchase of a classic Nintendo Entertainment System, which is what he and Godzilla were currently playing on, while Mothra and Battra watched. Mothra was behind the couch, observing carefully, while Battra slumped over, bored out of his mind, in the armchair next to the couch.
"That looks really fun!" Mothra beamed.
"It looks like it was made for children." Battra added, raising his eyebrow in confusion. The others ignored him. But Godzilla was thinking about something else. He seemed fixated on the main character of the game he was playing.
"Does that little green dinosaur guy look familiar at all?" Godzilla asked.
"... What do you mean?" Anguirus asked.
"I dunno, he just looks really familiar to me." Godzilla shrugged. "It's like I've seen him before. Well, not exactly him, but I remember a seeing a green dinosaur thing that walked upright somewhere. Does anyone else remember seeing a green upright dinosaur-type creature recently?"
Nobody had any idea what he was talking about.
"That sounds like a monster from an old movie or something."Mothra mentioned.
"No, I'm almost certain I've seen something like that in real life..." Godzilla said. While he was deep in thought, Anguirus beat him at the level they were playing. This made Godzilla snap right back into reality. "What the... hey!" He said as he grabbed his controller again
"Not my fault you distracted yourself." Anguirus chuckled.
"Don't get used to it, because I'm gonna kick your ass next level!" Godzilla said. This made Mothra giggle, while Battra simply rolled his eyes. While they were playing, the door to the tent was open. Godzilla looked up from the screen just in time for Rodan to walk by.
"Hey, Rodan, wanna play video games with us?" He asked. Rodan seemed startled, like he wasn't expecting anyone to even notice him.
"No thanks, I'm kinda busy." Rodan said as he walked past the door. But the others could tell something was wrong. Anguirus paused the game.
"Did something seem... off with him?" Godzilla asked.
"Yeah... he never refuses a chance to play video games." Anguirus added. He and Godzilla got up from the couch and walked outside. While they were gone, Mothra sat down in their place.
"Wanna play?" She asked, looking up at Battra and patting the seat next to her. He scoffed in response.
"No thank you." He sneered.
"C'mon, just one round." Mothra said. Battra tried to stand his ground, but eventually he caved. He rolled his eyes as a groan escaped his lips, and he sat on the couch next to his sister.
"Fine. Just one round." He said, picking up the controller.

Godzilla and Anguirus eventually caught up to Rodan. He was at the beach, staring out at the ocean. His new scarf fluttered in the sea breeze behind him.
"Hey, Rodan!" Godzilla called as the two ran over to him. He turned to face them as they approached.
"Are you feeling okay?" Godzilla continued. "You look a bit down."
"I'm fine." Rodan shrugged. "Well... not really. You guys know what today is, right?"
Godzilla looked at Anguirus, who simply shrugged. Neither of them had any idea what kind of significance that day had. Rodan sighed seeing their confusion, and turned back to the ocean.
"February 27th." He said. "Radon died 14 years ago today."
Now they understood what was going on. Radon was an old friend of theirs. She was the same species as Rodan, and by far the closest to him out of all of them. He had feelings for her too, but never got to express them as she died during a battle. The worst part was that Rodan was partially responsible for her death. Godzilla and Anguirus knew exactly why he was upset now.
"Oh shoot, I completely forgot." Anguirus said. "I can't believe it's been that long."
"Yeah... I'm sorry, Rodan, I didn't realize today was the anniversary." Godzilla added.
"It's okay. Not like we can do anything about it, right?" Rodan chuckled in a somewhat somber tone. "It really doesn't seem like it's been that long since she died. I still remember it vividly..."
He closed his eyes and looked down, trying to block out the painful thoughts. His hand clenched into a fist and shook slightly. Godzilla placed a hand on his shoulder. This comforted Rodan a lot more than any words could.
"I know you miss her a lot." Godzilla said.
"It's not just that." Rodan sighed. "I've been feeling kinda... alone lately. And thinking about Radon's death hasn't helped that much."
"You're not alone, Rodan." Anguirus said. "You have all of us."
"That's not what I mean." Rodan said, shaking his head. "I mean, you have Cherno, Godzilla and Mothra have each other, and I don't have anyone."
Godzilla understood why Rodan was upset now. Seeing other couples probably made Rodan jealous, and since the one he had feelings for was dead, that probably made the feeling much worse.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to bring you guys down like that." Rodan continued.
"Nah, it's understandable." Godzilla shrugged. "I'm just not the best at comforting people, especially not with this situation."
"I think I know what would make you feel better, though." Anguirus said. "How about a couple rounds of Contra on the NES?"
Rodan's smirk finally returned. "That actually sounds pretty good." He said. Before they could head back, Godzilla's communicator rang. He pulled it out of his pocket, and saw that it was Jet calling him. Godzilla smirked at Rodan.
"Perfect, this'll probably take your mind off things." He said. He clicked the button, and Jet's image appeared on screen.
"Hello, Godzilla. It's been a while." Jet said.
"Yeah, I guess it has." Godzilla replied. "I guess the last time we met was when the Jaegers took us to the Shatterdome."
"Ahem, right." Jet said, looking away and smoothing his silver hair back in embarasment. "Anyway, we have a new assignment for you."
"Sounds great. Another Kaiju attack?" Godzilla asked.
"Not exactly." Jet replied. He moved aside, showing a computer screen with a diagram of what appeared to be a hole in the ground. "We need you to investigate this anomaly we found at the bottom of the ocean." Jet explained. "Everything we've sent down there has come back with nothing, if they even came back at all. We need someone to go down there, tell us what it's doing, and fight back anything that comes out if it's hostile."
"... A hole in the ground? That's all?" Godzilla asked.
"It's much more than just a hole." Jet explained. "It appears to be a living portal of some kind."
Godzilla was confused to say the least. Not only with the anomaly itself, but he was also confused why he was given the mission in the first place.
"Send me the coordinates. I'll head down there with the others and we'll see what's up." He said. Jet nodded and closed communications. Godzilla rolled his eyes as he put the communicator back in his pocket.
"Well, it's not an attack, but it's something." He shrugged. "Let's go get the others and we can head out."
The others nodded and followed him back to the tent. Mothra and Battra were on the couch, very much into the game they were playing. Battra seemed to enjoy it much more than Mothra.
"What happened to this game being childish, Battra?" Mothra giggled.
"I never said I was enjoying it." Battra replied. "It's... much more challenging than I thought it would be."
"Guys, Jet just called." Godzilla explained, holding up his communicator. "He asked us to check out something at the bottom of the ocean. You wanna come?"
"Oh, sure." Mothra said, setting the controller on the couch behind her. As she exited the tent, she turned towards Battra once again. "Coming, Battra?"
"You go on ahead." Battra replied, not looking up from the game. "I think I'll stay here with the game a little bit more."
Mothra rolled her eyes as she followed the others out of the tent. As they walked over to where the boat was docked, Godzilla smiled. While this may not have been the adventure he was hoping for, it was at least something.