Chapter 18: Future Vision

Finally, it was truly over. The portal was before them, and their world was only a few steps away. Rodan and Radon had already gone through. Radon was so excited to see Monster Island again that she practically dragged Rodan in behind her. Now it was Godzilla, Mothra, and Anguirus' turn. But before they stepped through, Solomon appeared from the stairs.
"Wait, don't go just yet." He said.
"What now?" Godzilla asked.
"There's one more thing I'd like to do to reward you for your help." Solomon explained. He raised his hand, revealing a golden ring on his finger. "This ring belonged to Acacius. It gave her the ability to see moments in the possible future."
"Really?" Godzilla asked.
"Yes. Red was using it to predict your location." Solomon said. "I found it while I was going through his things, and I figured you might like to use it."
"How does it work?" Mothra asked.
Solomon held out his hand. "Here, take my hand and the ring will give you a glimpse into your future."
Everyone was hesitant to take his hand. While it was certainly an interesting idea, seeing into the future was a scary thought. In the end, Anguirus went first.
"This better be something good." He chuckled.
He walked up to Solomon and grabbed his hand. Immediately he was sent into a vision. He saw what appeared to a military base. An emblem for the Pan-Pacific Defence Force was on the wall, letting him know he was in the Shatterdome. But things were different. Four Jaegers stood in front of him, but these were not the Jaegers he knew. They looked much younger than the other Jaegers. One who caught his eye was a girl with dark blonde hair and bulky dark green Jaeger armour. She looked to be in her early teens. Her weapon was a massive wrecking ball-like mace. Anguirus wasn't sure how a human could lift such a heavy object, even with the Jaeger armour. Maybe she wasn't human, he thought. But what confused him the most was that he saw a pair of army style dog tags wrapped around her neck. Looking closer, he realized the dog tags were familiar to him. They were the same ones he wore himself. As soon as he realized this, he was flung back into the real world. He let go of Solomon's hand, eyes wide with surprise.
"Whoa..." He said.
"What is it? Did you see anything?" Mothra asked.
"Yeah... yeah, I definitely saw something." Anguirus nodded.
"Well? What did you see?" Mothra asked. She was getting excited now.
"I... don't know." He said. "I think... no, I have no idea who that was..."
"Oh, I gotta try this." Mothra said. She ran up to Solomon and enthusiastically grabbed his hand. Like Anguirus, she was immediately thrust into a vision. Her vision was much simpler. It was just her, standing underneath an archway of cherry blossom trees. The light pink petals fell slowly around her, appearing almost like a very gentle snow. When she held up a hand to catch one, she saw the sleeve covering her arm. It wasn't the one she normally wore. This was a completely different outfit. She looked down and saw it was a long, flowing kimono, coloured almost completely white. Once the realization of what this meant hit her, she was brought back to the real world. She gasped in surprise, and Godzilla placed a hand on her shoulder.
"Did you see anything good?" He asked. Mothra smiled widely and hugged Godzilla tightly.
"I think I did." She said. Godzilla smiled back, but looked back to Solomon as Mothra let go of him.
"Alright, my turn." He said. Solomon nodded and once again held out a hand. Godzilla closed his eyes as he grabbed Solomon's hand, and when he opened them, he was in his vision. But this was not like Mothra or Angiurus' visions. He didn't see people he didn't know or floating petals. Godzilla saw Tokyo. But it was in complete ruins. The entire city had been destroyed. Buildings were levelled, roads were ripped apart, and bridges had fallen into the water below them. Everything was gone. The only thing left was the massive creature in front of him. Godzilla guessed that this creature was responsible for Tokyo's destruction. It was massive, towering over him, bigger than anything he had ever seen. It was like something out of a nightmare. It let out a loud ear-splitting roar as it spread its horrible wings. Before Godzilla could see exactly what the creature was, he woke up from his vision. He gasped and ripped his hand away from a confused Solomon.
"What is it?" He asked.
"You tell me! What the hell was that!?" Godzilla snapped.
"I don't see the visions, I don't know what they mean." Solomon explained. "Whatever you saw is part of your future. The ring thought it was important enough to show you."
"Godzilla, what did you see?" Mothra asked. Godzilla hesitated for a few seconds. He had no idea how to explain what he saw.
"I think... I think I saw... the end of the world." Godzilla muttered. Mothra stepped back in shock. She had no idea what that might have looked like. Solomon was quick to step in and defuse the situation.
"Whatever you saw, it's only a possible future." Solomon reminded. "It could happen, or it could not. We have no idea."
Godzilla looked at the ground, disturbed by the vision he was presented with. He didn't get a good look at the creature in the vision, but it didn't look like anything he had ever seen before. But whatever it was, it didn't matter now. He would deal with it when it appeared. Until then, he was happy to be going home. Finally, after saying goodbye to Solomon again, he and the other stepped through the portal.