Chapter 15: Broken Apart

Finally, they were there. Godzilla and the other's three day journey through hell was almost over. Red's lair was right in front of them, though it seemed more like a castle. Structurally wise, it resembled the temples of Fear or Desire, but on a much larger scale, and coloured dark crimson. It was also tall, stretching nearly up to the sky. Godzilla couldn't see the top. None of them had any idea where the portal to get them home was, but that didn't deter them. They were going home, and that was all they needed to know.
"Alright, let's go." Godzilla said. As he and the others began walking into the castle, Radon gulped and began to sweat.
"W-wait!" She said, rushing in front of Godzilla. "Um... we should hold back for a sec. I mean, we don't know where the portal is. We should figure that out before we head in."
"There's no time for that." Godzilla said, walking around her. "We can split up and look for it when we get inside." Radon was about to say something else, but everyone walked past her before she had a chance. She looked around nervously, trying to find some way to stop her friends from going in. Sensing her nervousness, Rodan placed a hand on her shoulder, pulling her along with them. He thought she was just afraid Red.
"We're gonna be fine." He assured. "Soon, we're all gonna be back on Monster Island, and everything will be like it was years ago."
But Radon knew better. As they stepped through the dark entrance of the castle, she knew it was too late. The inside was dark, lit only by dim torches on the walls, and a big stained-glass window depicting what appeared to be Red, along with Solomon and another figure, which Godzilla guessed was Acacius, streamed light into the room as well. The window was broken, with two holes where Solomon and Acacius' faces would be. The room itself was big, and there were two stairwells on either side. There was also a hole in the roof, which Godzilla guessed lead to the top of the castle. It almost resembled a cathedral with the stained glass window above them. But that wasn't the thing that caught their interest. Below the window, on an altar with steps leading up to it, was a red and black vortex. It expanded and contracted as it spun and morphed and made a low moaning sound. Godzilla's eyes widened. This was the portal to their world.
"Looks like we didn't need to look for it after all." Godzilla said. "We're going home, guys."
Things were finally starting to look up. He started to lead the others to the portal, but Mothra suddenly stopped walking. Her brow furrowed, and she placed a hand on her temple.
"Wait... I'm sensing something." She said. Godzilla looked back at her, a confused look on his face.
"What are you talking a-" Before he could finish, five massive pillars shot up from the ground right in front of him. They resembled claws or long sharp teeth, and curved over Godzilla as they rose before him. He stepped back in shock. as he turned around, he saw more claw pillars rising out of the ground, surrounding them.
"Run!" He said. The others complied, and ran for the door, but the exit was sealed by the claw pillars as well. There was no escape. More and more claw pillars erupted from the ground, surrounding them in the centre of the room. Soon, the room resembled a forest of claws and fangs, with them in the middle. The portal was still there, but they couldn't get to it.
"No! We were so close!" Anguirus shouted, punching one of the claw pillars. Despite his immense strength, he didn't even damage the pillar. Godzilla pulled out his sword and slashed at the pillar, but it didn't leave a single scratch. Even with his atomic energy flowing through it, the sword did nothing against them. They were trapped.
"Looks like you're out of luck, Godzilla." A voice came from all around them. A loud evil cackle echoed throughout the room, and it was easy to guess who was talking to them. Red had trapped them.
"Let us go!" Mothra ordered.
"Now why would I do that?" Red asked. "The fun is only just beginning!"
Godzilla gritted his teeth. "If you're gonna torture us, then show yourself, coward!" He shouted.
"Oh, you'll see me soon enough. And I'm not going to torture you just yet." Red replied. "You've proved to be quite and impressive challenge to me so far. So I'm prepared to give you one last chance. I'll give you a few minutes to prepare, and then the final part of our little game will commence. I'll see you then."
With one final cackle, Red's voice disappeared. In its place, everyone heard a soft sobbing. They turned around, only to see Radon curled up on the ground, practically bawling her eyes out.
"I knew this would happen! I just knew it!" Radon practically screamed. She was clearly experiencing many different emotions at once. Rodan was quick to comfort her.
"Radon, it's alright." He said. He attempted to wrap his arms around her, but she shoved him away. Now he could see the fear and sadness in her face.
"No it's not!" She yelled. "It's my fault we're down here. I could have just stayed back on Earth, but no, I had to find you and bring you back into this hell!"
"Radon, this isn't your fault." Godzilla chimed in. "We ended up down here because of Red. And we're gonna get out."
"No... you're not." Radon sobbed. "I'm sorry... I'm so, so sorry..."
Rodan was confused now. None of this was her fault, why was she apologizing?
"Radon, what are you talking about?" He asked.
"...I never escaped." Radon admitted. Suddenly, everything clicked into place. Rodan realized what she meant. His eyes widened and he backed away from her.
"Radon... you didn't..." He stammered.
"Red let me out. But he gave me one condition..." Radon continued. "I had... to bring you all to him."
She broke down again as everyone stared at her in shock and disbelief.
"You... brought us down here?" Mothra asked, her voice hushed and fearful.
"Red wanted you here to provide him with a challenge." Radon explained through her sobs. "So he sent me back to Earth to make sure you all came to Zenith. I told him where Monster Island was. He controlled Jet Jaguar's mind to bring most of you, but he tasked me with bringing Rodan. From there, he told me to make sure I lead you into this trap..."
Everyone was in complete shock as they stared wide-eyed at Radon. For Godzilla, his shock quickly turned into anger. He marched towards Radon, his teeth gritted in rage.
"So you were a spy this whole time!?" He accused. He attempted to grab her, but Rodan stepped in between them.
"Wait, Godzilla, stop!" He said. "There must be a reason for this... right?" He looked at Radon, silently pleading for an answer. She did her best to speak through her tears.
"It was Red, he made me do it!" She sobbed. "He just got into my head... It was my one chance at freedom! If I didn't take it... oh god, what have I done?"
She broke down sobbing again. Godzilla could clearly see this wasn't entirely her fault, and his expression softened. Despite this revelation, Radon was still his friend. Suddenly, the ground shook, and a small jet of fire shot up from the ground like a laser, carving a circle around them, along with the wall of claw pillars surrounding them. They suddenly began to rise into the air, with the circle of floor lifting them up like an elevator. As they began ascending up through the roof, Radon continued to sob.
"I'm so sorry..." She whimpered. Godzilla turned to her and knelt down in front of her. Radon couldn't even look him the eyes. She was too ashamed.
"I just wanna know one thing." Godzilla said. "Why would you do this?"
"I just told you, Red made me do it-" Radon began, but Godzilla cut her off.
"No. At some level you must have been thinking for yourself when you decided to help Red." he said. "Somehow, deep down, you must have had a reason."
Radon was silent for a while. But finally, she spoke. "It was because..." She said, "I knew that if anyone could defeat Red, if anyone could stop this madness... it would be you all."
Godzilla stood up. "Let's hope you're right about that." He said. He looked up through tunnel they were rising through, and it appeared they were almost at the top. He knew Red was up there. Meanwhile, Mothra helped Radon stand up and placed a hand on her shoulder.
"I forgive you." She said. A tear rolled down Radon's face.
"Thank you. I hardly deserve it, but thank you." She said.
"I forgive you too." Rodan added, clasping his hands around Radon's. She looked up at him, and he wiped the tear from her cheek. "No matter what happens to us, Radon, I still love you." Rodan continued.
She smiled and hugged Rodan tightly as the floor finally rose above the roof, exposing them to the air once again. The claw pillars sunk into the ground, allowing everyone to see what was around them. The sky had gone from pitch black to a deep dark red, with dark clouds swirling overhead. Beneath them, the world had disappeared. Below the tower was nothing but an ocean of boiling magma. But as they looked over the edge, they didn't notice as Red appeared in front of them. His cape had transformed into wings which allowed him to fly. As he landed, it turned back into a cape. His landing alerted the others to his presence, and they all turned towards him.
"Well, I'm glad you finally showed up." He grinned. Godzilla immediately pulled out his sword.
"Same here, because now I get to kick your ass in person!" He shouted. He ran towards Red, who raised an eyebrow in response.
"So impatient." He muttered. He nonchalantly aimed a finger at Godzilla and raised it upwards, making him lift his sword in the air and trapping him in a red flickering light. He couldn't move an inch, besides his head and neck. Radon suddenly pushed her way in front of him.
"Red, please stop this!" She pleaded.
"Ah, my dear Radon. I suppose you already told them of our little deal?" Red replied. "How tragic that they now know your true nature."
"You know damn well that this is not my true nature!" Radon replied. "The deal is off. Please, let them go. Take me back instead."
Rodan's eyes widened. He couldn't believe Radon was doing this. He watched as Red contemplated.
"An interesting offer." Red nodded as he walked down from the altar. "One I would gladly accept were it not for my plans."
"...Plans?" Radon gulped. Beads of sweat began running down the side of her head.
"You've brought your friends to me, as part of our deal." Red continued. "But now that you're all here... I think I'll just keep you all."
Radon's eyes widened as she backed up in fear. "T-that wasn't part of the deal! You can't do that!"
"And who's going to stop me?" Red chuckled.
Out of nowhere, Rodan launched himself past Radon and directly at Red. He had hoped his speed would be able to confuse Red, and allow him to get even one solid attack in. But to his surprise, Red moved just as fast as him, if not faster. As soon as Rodan reached him. He grabbed him by the throat. Radon gasped as she saw him in Red's grasp.
"You're starting to irritate me." Red growled.
Rodan choked and gasped for air in Red's clutches. His grip was tightening on Rodan's throat so much he could barely breath. But that was the least of his worries. A scythe suddenly appeared in Red's hand. In one swift motion, Red let go of Rodan's throat, spun the scythe, and plunged it directly into his chest. Everyone gasped in shock as Red grasped Rodan by the throat again, and plunged the blade into his chest even further, eliciting a pained scream of agony. Radon couldn't take any more, and ran up to the two.
"Stop! Please, stop this!" She begged, grasping onto Red's arm. He violently smacked her away, sending her to the ground. Before she could get back up, Red ripped the blade out of Rodan's chest and held him over the edge of the tower. With one final smirk, he dropped him into the lava below. Everyone snapped out of their shock and rushed over to the edge. Radon looked up a second too late, and ran to the edge with them, watching Rodan's body plunge into the boiling magma.
"NO!!!" She screamed and reached down as she watched his body disappear into the flames. Godzilla and the others were just as shocked. Their friend had just plummeted to his death in front of them, and there was nothing they could do about it. Godzilla and Mothra stared in terrified silence, while Anguirus shook with rage. Rodan was his best friend, so he was ready to kill. He turned back towards Red, who was staring at them with a smug grin.
"He would have been boring to torture anyway." He shrugged. Anguirus gritted his teeth. He may not have had his hammer with him, but he was still determined to fight Red.
"You're gonna die for that!" He shouted as he rushed towards Red. With a sinister Grin, Red swung his scythe and hit Anguirus with the blunt end, sending him flying back. He flew over the edge of the tower too, though he managed to hang onto the edge before he fell. Godzilla realized he had to act fast, and quickly got over the shock of seeing Rodan fall. He got into a battle stance and stood right in front of Red.
"Ah, yes, finally!" Red laughed, holding his arms out. "You were the one I wanted to fight the most, Godzilla. You, the most powerful Kaiju on Earth, against me, the God of Zenith! This will truly be my greatest triumph!"
"More like your greatest fuck-up!" Godzilla countered, dashing towards Red. Their blades clashed and locked. Godzilla pushed his sword against Red's scythe as the two stared each other down.
"Perhaps you should worry more about your friends, Godzilla." Red advised. He nodded upwards, signalling for Godzilla to look behind him. What he saw horrified him. Anguirus, Mothra, and Radon were slowly turning to stone.
"What the hell..." Anguirus said before he was completely petrified.
"I... I don't feel so good..." Mothra whispered, staring at her hands as she turned into a statue.
Radon said nothing. She simply closed her eyes and accepted her fate. Godzilla's last line of help in this final battle was frozen in stone. He turned back to Red, still pushing against his scythe.
"What did you do!?" Godzilla shouted. Red cackled in his face.
"Isn't it obvious? I turned your friends to stone." He explained. "If you want them back, you must defeat me. If not, they'll stay as statues forever. Oh, and I should mention that I kept their senses intact. And I can assure you, they are all in a great deal of pain."
Godzilla gritted his teeth. He could not lose this battle. He would not lose this battle. He swung his sword at Red, pushing him back further. His petrified friends stared at him in silence from around the battlefield. The final battle was about to begin.