Oh. That's What Happened

Chapter Seven.

Flash back - 18 months ago.

I stood there, waiting for him walk back inside, but he didn't. I slowly sat down on my bed and started playing with my ring, thinking about what his words could possibly mean. I guess he wasn't coming back inside, Aria will just come in and get me when everyone has settled down. I waited a little bit longer, but no one came.

After about 15 minutes, I heard my dad's voice raising as he spoke about something. Then, I heard Asher's frantic apology in an equally loud voice. I waited to hear Fawad's voice, but I heard nothing.

I stood up from my bed, took off my heels and quickly walked outside to see what the commotion was about.

Upon my arrival, I saw everyone that was seated, stand up and everyone that was standing, turned around to face me. Shock, confusion, sympathy was written all over their faces. I searched for Fawad. Nothing. I searched for his parents. Still nothing.

I looked at Aria with questions in my eyes but she refused to make eye contact with me. Before I could open my mouth to speak, Asher rushed towards me and held my left hand in his hands.

With his head bowed and a shaking voice, he said "I'm sorry. This is all my fault. I don't know what happened--" he did a double take on my hand and held up my finger which held Fawad's ring to get a closer look. "How'd you get this?" He asked in a low voice while shaking my hand.

I pulled my hand away, a bit confused by his reaction and said "What do you mean? He just gave it to me. What are you talking about?"

Asher violently shook his head and ran a hand through his hair, then he took my hand again and pulled it in the air to show everyone.

"Look! I -- he- he didn't just leave- he -- look! He gave her the ring!" He cried while looking at my father with pleading eyes.

I snatched my hand away, getting frustrated by Asher's weird behavior and Aria's non responsive behavior.

"What is going on?!" I finally asked to no one in particular. This time Aria looked at me. She walked towards me.

"What did Fawad say to you before he left?"

"I-- uhm. He-- he didn't really say-- I mean he gave me this ring." I said holding up my hand and slightly blushing at the memory of his kiss.

"Alina, did he tell you why he is leaving?"

"He left?" My heart dropped.

"Well.. Yes. He just left. The only thing he said is 'I can't do this without her being perfectly content with this marriage' to father and then he left."

"He can't do that. He cannot walk out on my daughter like that. That bastard!" Yelled my father. Along with my heart, my jaw dropped as well. I've never heard my father use such language.

"Dad, Aria, Asher. Please tell me what is going on. Where did Fawad go? How long will he take to come back? The guests are waiting for the ceremony." I said to all of them while pointing at one family who looked pretty sad for a wedding.

"Alina, baby. Let's go inside." My mother wrapped her arms around me and pulled me towards my room.

Flash back end - 18 months ago.

****************

Flash back begin - 15 months ago.

"Alina, you're going to be an aunt!!"

My heart almost jumped out my throat and I lunged towards Aria, i wrapped my arms around her and gave her a bear hug. "You're expecting?! You're pregnant?!" I excitedly asked.

"Oh dear Alina don't squeeze me! Yes I am. I am months 2 months in already!"

"Aw! I'm so happy for you!" I said as I kissed her cheek.

"I know. We're really happy. Listen, I'm going to go see if Asher needs anything. I just served him dinner. I'll be back." Aria said as she got up and left my room.

I sat down on my bed, I put my back against the headboard and closed my eyes.

He's been gone for 3 months.

3 months ago, he gave me his ring. He promised me that he will marry me and he hasn't come back since.

He hasn't even contacted Asher. Poor guy, Asher still feels that it's his fault Fawad walked out on me. I'm not sure what makes him feel that, but he shouldn't be taking responsibility for his friend's actions.

After a week, I finally started to understand what his words meant. He wanted me to happy. He didn't want to force me into a marriage with him. He gave me time to think.

What he didn't know is that I had no problem marrying him. I just dreamt of falling in love, but I mean that doesn't really happen to a girl like me. For gods sake, I'm not even allowed to leave the house.

What I didn't understand is why he thinks I need more than a week. After he didn't come back for a month, that's when I started feeling unsure.

Sometimes, I'm not even sure what I want. Somedays, I want him to come back to me. Other days, I never want to see him again after how much he hurt my parents and I.

I was looking forward to marrying him.

Maybe I was at fault too. I refused to marry him. I told him he was forcing me! On my wedding day! Why did I have to say anything. My own words have cost me so much.

Today, when Aria came to visit, she brought a newspaper with her. The headlines read "Fawad Khan does grand opening of his new hotel" with a small picture of him, giving a thousand dollar smile.

I think she was expecting me to cry after seeing him so happy without me. But I don't understand why I would cry after reading such good news. I mean, him opening a restaurant is a good thing, right?

Flash back end - 15 months ago.

Update before next Saturday!